vw228 canal basinR .jpg

The roundabout in Sharon will be built in the basin where canal boats docked when the Erie Extension Canal ran through the Shenango Valley from 1844-1871. It was filled in about 1915. The roundabout will be right of center of this view, which is looking northwest. The Pennsylvania Railroad station (today Tully's) is at left center. Today's Dock Street was named for boat docks, and Bank Place was on the bank of the basin.