• Shenango Valley YMCA will host its 12th Annual Polar Bear Bike Ride on New Year’s Day. All riders leave the YMCA, 925 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage, at 10:30 a.m.
Riders are encouraged to register early, but registration will also be available the day of the event from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Riders can participate in one of three routes, with distances of approximately 11, 21 or 30 miles. The routes are over lightly-traveled country roads with no rest stops along the way.
There will be lunch, including soup, after the ride at the YMCA.
• The Mercer County Historical Society, 119 S. Pitt St., Mercer, holds a book sale Dec. 19-21 during normal business hours. Before and after the Christmas Candlelight Concert, the Society plans to offer the public its collection of books produced by the Society, a limited selection of older Mercer County histories, books that do not meet the group’s mission (Mercer County and surrounding areas), and a variety of other items including, but not limited to, photos and VHS “hit” movies.
• St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, 65 S. Keel Ridge Road, Hermitage, is having a bake sale. Orders are to be picked up between 3 and 5 p.m. Dec. 23.
Stuffed cabbage is $9 for six; pogaca is $5; apple strudel, $8; and nut roll is $12 each.
To order, call Honey at 724-342-0115 or Desa, 724-528-3708.
• K9’s In Need is having a huge bake sale Saturday and Sunday at the Shenango Valley Mall, Hermitage (by FYE across from JCPenneys).
There will be cookies and treats for both you and your favorite four-legged friends.
• Brookfield High School class of 2003 holds its 10th-year reunion Dec. 21 in Stevenson Inn, Masury. Buffet dinner is from 8 to 10 p.m. Cost is $17.50 a person.
Reservations by Friday at www.BHSclassof2003@yahoo.com or www.facebook.com/SharmayneBolling
• Knights of Columbus Council 4003 will hold their annual Christmas party at 2 p.m. Sunday Hermitage Firehall 3, Mercer Avenue.
Info: Mike DeMartinis 724-981-2436, reservations: Dave Thomas, 724-342-1378; or John Piatek, 724-699-4949.
Events of interest to the community are published as space permits. Send written information to The Herald, Box 51, Sharon 16146 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information is not taken over the phone.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
- More Community Headlines
- 'Les Miserables'