• 7:30 p.m. Thursday at Anderson Amphitheater at Westminster College; free concert by the U.S. Army Field Band and Soldiers’ Chorus.
• 7:30 p.m. Friday on the shores of Brittain Lake at Westminster; free concert by the River City Brass Band followed by fireworks. Take blankets and lawn chairs, picnic baskets welcome, food vendors on site. In case of rain, both concerts will be held in the amphitheater.
• About 10 p.m. Friday in Riverside Park; annual fireworks show, preceded by concert in the park.
• 8 a.m. through evening Saturday at various locations; second annual Heritage Day. Events include: continental breakfast at St. Paul’s, 5K run/walk in Riverside Park, local museum tours, exhibits and refreshments in the park, aircraft displays and rides at Greenville Airport, a car show on Main Street and concluding at 7 p.m. with a USO Show at Thiel College.
• Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at Shenango Valley RV Park, 559 E. Crestview Drive, Delaware Township; PawsAmerica dog walk, canine carnival and Chinese auction to benefit Canine Partners for Life. Special guest is Tara McKibben of Youngstown and her dog April, who assists her with the tasks of daily living.
• A fireworks display will start at dark Saturday at the Pymatuning State Park dam, Info: 724-932-3142.
• Fireworks by Zambelli Internationale will begin at 10 p.m. Sunday at Conneaut Lake Park near the waterfront. Info: 814-213-0144 or www.clpbeachclub.com
• 6 to 10 p.m. Friday behind Hermitage Middle School; Hermitage Business Association’s third annual fireworks extravaganza, including children’s activities and food vendors. Entertainment by DJ Freddie Fresh begins at 6:30; fireworks at about 9:40 p.m.
Grove City area
• 7 p.m. Saturday at Grove City College’s Robert Thorn Football Field; Grove City’s 12th annual Fourth of July Celebration. The Harrisville Community band and the Air National Guard Military Band of the Mid-Atlantic will perform. Fireworks by Kellner’s at 10 p.m.
- Things to do from April 23, 2014
Urban League sponsors scholarship contest
High school seniors who live in Mercer County can win a $1,000 scholarship in the Shenango Valley Urban League Scholarship Fund essay contest.
Kids in the news from April 22, 2014
Local students compete in business olympics
Scout Court of Honor held for Garman
An Eagle Scout Court of Honor was held March 30 for Brad Garman, 18, a senior at Hickory High School, Hermitage.
Showing your artwork to family and friends is one thing. Putting your talent on public display in a gallery is a distinction artists dream about.
- Things to do from April 19, 2014
Victorian Days slated for June 14
Mercer Victorian Days will return on June 14 on the lawn of the courthouse from 9 a.m to 4 p.m.
Students earn ‘Awesome Authors’ honors at GCC
The Grove City College Department of Education, education honorary Kappa Delta Pi and the Hamilton Curriculum Library honored approximately 70 kindergarten through third-grade creative writers at the Grove City College “Awesome Authors” awards ceremony earlier this spring on the Grove City College campus.
Greenville student wins grand prize at YSU fest
Greenville High School students again scored impressive wins recently at the two-day Youngstown State University English Festival.
BCRC sets programs, year-end shows
The following programs are scheduled for April by Buhl Community Recreation Center, Sharon:
Point is watch movie, then talk about it
A lively discussion is expected for this month’s surprise Mind Over Media movie.
Moderator Ryan Bibza picked the movie, which won’t be unveiled to the public until it’s shown at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Broad Street Yoga in downtown Grove City.
- Community briefs from April 16, 2014
- Things to do from April 16, 2014
Kyle McDonough earns Civil Air Patrol recognition
Cadet Maj. Emily Conroy, cadet deputy commander of Civil Air Patrol’s Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron, recently presented the Wright Brothers Award and promotion to Cadet Staff Sgt. Kyle McDonough of Hermitage.
- Things to do from April 14, 2014
- More Community Headlines