Buhl Farm park will celebrate its third annual Winter Fest Sunday – snow or not. If there is no snow on the ground, the only events that would have to be canceled are the snowman building contest, sled riding and cross country skiing.
Almost everything is free, including a chili cook-off and the maple-syrup-from-the-tree-tap demo. Food items such as hot dogs and hot chocolate are a dollar. The people running the activities are donating their services and products. Local businesses have also made donations to cover costs.
“The park is beautiful all year-round, even in the winter,” said Debbie Fait, assistant general manager of the park. “The idea originally for the Winter Fest was to start to get families to play outside in the winter.”
The Winter Fest activities are mostly held on the kite field. Golden Run Clydesdale horses circle past one side of the field so wagon riders can watch the sled dog demonstration and other fun events.
Kids can come into the Casino, take off their boots, and enjoy story time with “Miss Victoria, the Story Spinner” beside the warm fireplace in the conference room.
Last year, more than 1,000 people enjoyed the fest.
“People had such a good time last year that they want to come back and bring more family and more friends. The response has been great,” Fait said.
Schedule of events
Buhl Farm’s third Winter Fest will be held from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the park in Hermitage, regardless of the weather.
• Ice sculptor demonstration
• Dog sled demonstration
• Freeze pop hunt
• Marshmallow roasting
• Sled riding
• Tube run
• Snow angels
• 8 to 11 a.m. – pancake breakfast, Casino ballroom
• 8 a.m. – Great snowman challenge, Kite field
• 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. – chili cook-off, Casino ballroom with entertainment by Doug Butchy Trio band
• 12:30 p.m. – maple tree tap and syrup making, Shelter 4
• 1 to 3 p.m. – Clydesdale horse drawn wagon rides
• 1 to 2 p.m. – winter water color, Casino
• 1:30 p.m. – cross country group ski, Shelter 4
• 2:15 p.m. – Miss Victoria spins stories, Casino