Community Library of the Shenango Valley, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave., Sharon, offers these activities for June:
• Summer reading begins June 9. Register any time during the month of June. Children can earn prizes each week by reading five books per week or, if they prefer, by reading 210 minutes each week. The program will run through the end of July.
• Summer Lunch Program, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 16 through Aug. 8. The library will be serving free lunches to children during the summer months. Any child up to age 18 is welcome. Enjoy a healthy lunch and stay for one of our children’s programs. The program is part of Sharon School District’s Summer Food Service Program. Details: 724-981-4360.
• Story hour, songs and crafts for ages 3-5, 10:30 a.m. Wednesdays beginning June 11.
• Kid’s crafts for ages 5 and older, 1 to 3 p.m. Thursdays beginning June 12.
• Disney/Pixar Movies for Kids, 1 p.m. Tuesdays beginning June 17. Enjoy a children’s movie each week.
• Storyteller Vicky Lingner: A Drop of Water, 1 p.m. June 18. Miss Vicky visits us as “Sealea” and tells us about the science and wonder of the water all around us. A family event for all ages.
• All About Elk, 1 p.m. June 25. An interactive Skype presentation with the Elk County Visitors Center. Learn about elk in Pennsylvania and the science of how wild animals live, eat, and interact with the world.
• Art lessons for children ages 6 and older, 10 to 11 a.m. June 27, July 11 and 25. Fizz, Boom, draw, paint and create in free art classes taught by artist Don Gold. Try your hand at painting, sculpting, and more. Registration required as space is limited.
• Star Wars Extravaganza, 1 p.m June 28. Meet live Star Wars characters as they visit the library during our summer reading program. Join us for the fun and excitement of the Star Wars Universe! Sponsored by Garrison-Carrida 501ST Legion.
• Mercer County Conservation District at Munnell Run Farm presents a hands-on science program for kids of all ages and their caregivers at 1 p.m. July 2.
• Summer reading bingo: A summer reading program for adults. Sign up at the library beginning June 9 and receive your reading bingo sheet. Play along all summer for a chance for prizes at the end of the program.
• Backyard gardening with Elliott Lengel, 6 p.m. June 4. Learn how to plan and plant a successful vegetable garden with owner of Lengel Brothers Farm and Market.
• Author visit with Marian Szczepanski, 6 p.m. June 12. Szczepanski will discuss her book “Playing St. Barbara.” This novel looks at the lives of women in western Pennsylvania coal-mining towns in the early 20th century.
• Chess club, 5:30 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. Find a challenging partner to play; new members always welcome.
• Knit, Crochet and More for all levels of experience, 12:30 to 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of each month of June, July and August. Take your needlework. Get tips, ideas, and new patterns.
• Microsoft Word classes, 4 to 5:30 p.m. June 2 to July 7. Call the library, 724-981-4360 to register.
• Microsoft Excel classes, 6 to 7:30 p.m. June 2 to July 7. Call the library, 724-981-4360 to register.
• Fine Arts Painting: Watercolor & Acrylics, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. June 7 and 21 and July 12 and 26. Attend our free art class taught by professional artist Don Gold. Register by calling the library.
• Electronic gadget instruction, 1 to 4 p.m. June 11 or 1 to 5 p.m. June 17 by appointment. In a one on one session, a librarian will answer your questions and guide you through the process of borrowing library books for your Kindle, iPad, Nook, and other related devices. Please call the library to schedule a 30-minute session to receive help making the most of your device!
• Shenango Valley Gardeners, 6 p.m. the second Monday of each month. The gardening club meets all year.
• Shakespeare in the Stacks, 5 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. Join us to read plays, watch movies and discuss works by the Bard of Avon.
• Independent Film & Discussion, 6 p.m. June 19. “Blue Jasmine,” (PG-13). Starring Cate Blanchett and Alec Baldwin and directed by Woody Allen. Watch the trailer on our website. Join us the third Thursday of each month for a thought-provoking film and discussion.
• Shenango Valley Pennwriters, 1 to 4 p.m. the third Saturday of each month. Learn to sharpen skills and network with other writers. Info: Catherine McLean, 814-425-7163.
• Friday Night Magic, 3 to 5 p.m. Fridays. Play the card game Magic: The Gathering at the Library. Meet new friends and win new cool cards.
• Library book clubs:
Evening Book Club, 6 p.m. June 5, reading “When She Woke” by Hillary Jordan.
Afternoon Book Club, 2 p.m. June 19, reading “Divergent” by Veronica Roth.
Call to borrow your copy of the book and to register for either book club.
• Adult basic education tutoring for those who need to brush up on their reading skills or learn to read. Any community members interested in becoming a tutor may contact the library.