• West Hill Ministries’ Christmas luncheon begins at noon WednesdayDec. 11 in First United Methodist Church, downtown Sharon.
Sharon High School Tiger Kittens and Men of Note will provide a musical program.
Lunch is free, but reservations are required by calling 724-347-7261.
• FNB Relay For Life Team Concrete Angels is once again this year sending Letters from Santa. The cost is $5 with all money going to Relay for Life. The letters will be personalized.
Information and money must be received by Dec. 13 in order for the child to get a letter before Christmas.
For more information contact Dian Papay at 724-718-4835 or Kim White at 724-456-3297 and leave a message if no answer.
• Mercer Area Library, 110 E. Venango St., holds a Christmas open house from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 12.
The Mercer High School Choir will be performing, and Santa will be here to visit with the children, pose for pictures, and find out what everyone wants for Christmas.
There will be complimentary cookies and other baked goods, plus coffee, tea, and hot chocolate for all visitors. Holiday stories will be read to the children and questions about new library programs will be answered.
• Knights of Columbus Council 4003 will hold their annual Christmas party at 2 p.m. Dec. 15 Hermitage Firehall 3, Mercer Avenue.
Info: Mike DeMartinis 724.9812436, reservations: Dave Thomas 724.4321378 or John Piatek 724.6994949.
• Farrell High School class of 1961 meets for dinner at 5:30 p.m. Dec. 16 at Hickory Grille.
Spouses and friends are welcome.
• Pymatuning Joint High School class of 1953 meets for lunch at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 11 at Carini’s in Jamestown.
All members, spouses, and friends are invited to attend.
• Sharon High School class of 1947 will host a luncheon at 12:30 p.m. Dec. 12 at Jess’s Junction, formerly Jess’s Restaurant, in Hermitage.
All alumni and friends are welcome.
• Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Mercer, holds a cookie walk and soup sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 15.
There will be homemade cookies for $5 per dozen and homemade soup is $5 per quart. Takeout only.
There will also be lottery/gift card trees raffle drawing. Tickets will be $3 each or six for $15.
• K9’s In Need is having a huge bake sale Dec. 14 and 15 at the Shenango Valley Mall, Hermitage (by FYE across from JCPenneys).
There will be cookies and treats for both you and your favorite four-legged friends.
• The sixth annual Beloved Disciple Catholic Church Christmas bazaar will be from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the church on Route 208 between Grove City and the outlet mall in Pine Township.
There will be soup, baked goods, beverages and prizes, vendors, artists, a ticket auction, a basket raffle, free admission and parking and a kids Christmas shop and crafts.
• Animal Appeal has pies available from the annual pie fundraiser at Hermitage Agway. There are varieties, but supplies are limited. These larger frozen fruit and cream pies are ready for baking and thawing.
Cost is $9 each, with proceeds benefiting veterinary care of dogs and cats awaiting adoption.
Pies can be purchased during regular business hours. Info: 724-962-9284 or 724-347-3031.
Events of interest to the community are published as space permits. Send written information to The Herald, Box 51, Sharon 16146 or e-mail: email@example.com. Information is not taken over the phone.
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
Dean's list from Feb. 24, 2014
A list of students who have made the dean's list at their respective schools.
- More Community Headlines