• The American Red Cross plans these blood drives:
Noon to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Church of the Good Shepherd, West Middlesex.
Noon to 6 p.m. Feb. 6 and 20, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 3325 Morefield Road, Hermitage.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 6, Penn State Shenango, Sharon. Red Cross donates $4 for each presenting donor toward Penn State’s THON Charity benefiting pediatric cancer programs.
* Grove City Medical Center’s annual prostate screening for men will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday in the ambulatory surgery center in Pine Township.
The screening will include a PSA blood test, along with a digital rectal examination. Fee for the laboratory cost of the screening is $15.
* Drs. Robert Piston and Allan Evangelista will conduct free hand and foot screenings from 2 to 4 p.m. Feb. 7 in Shenango Valley Senior Community Center, Hermitage. Appointments: 724-342-2663, ext. 33.
• Healthy Steps for Older Adults, a free health and wellness tutorial designed to keep seniors independent for as long as possible, will be offered from 9:30 to 11:30 Feb. 3 and 10 in Shenango Valley Senior Community Center, Hermitage.
The program is sponsored by the state Department of Aging.
• UPMC Horizon offers these programs:
Silver and Fit, 1 to 2 p.m. today and Thursday, Wellness Center, 26 Conneaut Lake Road, Hempfield Township. Info: 724-588-3001.
Birth Place tours, 9 to 10 a.m. today, hospital in Farrell. Register: 724-983-7962.
Free bariatric surgery information sessions, 10 a.m. Wednesday, assembly rooms A and B, Greenville. Register: 724-588-6660.
• Sharon Regional Health System offers these programs in the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage, unless otherwise noted:
Tours of the Birthing Center in the hospital, 740 E. State St., Sharon, daily from 1 to 5 p.m.
Appointments: 724-983-3927 or www.sharonregional.com for a virtual tour of the Birthing Center.
Highmark Health on the Menu: A Healthy Tour of the Grocery Store, noon todayJan. 28.
Why Your Pap Test is So Important, noon Wednesday. Dr. Linet Ochweri will speak.
Conversation about Dementia, 1 p.m. Thursday. Workshop offers tips on family conversations about going to the doctor, deciding when to stop driving and making legal and financial plans.
Register: 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
• The National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders holds a support group meeting for men and women with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder and their families and friends at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays (except for holidays) in the Founders Room of Notre Dame Church, Hermitage.
Meetings are free. Info: Renee Zamary, 724-981-5435 or www.anad.org
• The Mahoning Valley New Voice Club, a support group for laryngectomes and their families/friends, will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 12 at the Youngstown Hearing and Speech Center, located in Beeghly Medical Park, 6614 Southern Blvd., Youngstown.
Info: Donna Hendricks, 330-726-8855.
• TOPS, or Take Pounds off Sensibly, meets at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays in the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage. Weigh-ins begin at 8:30 a.m. There is a fee but the first class is free. Register: 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
• Juniper Village at the Shenango Inn, Sharon, hosts a 30-minute chair exercise class by Silver Sneakers at 10 a.m. weekdays in January.
• Quota of Shenango Valley and Sharon Regional Health System sponsor an American Sign Language I sign language class beginning March 6 at the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage. There is a $20 fee.
• The Help Hotline Crisis Center, Inc. Recovery Program offers a free 10-week mental health educational course called BRIDGES (Building Recovery and Individual Dreams through Education and Support) starting today from 5 to 7 p.m. and continue every Tuesday at Trumbull Memorial Hospital.
Registration: Nancy, 330-747-5111.
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
Dean's list from Feb. 24, 2014
A list of students who have made the dean's list at their respective schools.
- More Community Headlines