• The American Red Cross plans these blood drives:
Noon to 6 p.m. Thursday 6 and Feb. 20, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 3325 Morefield Road, Hermitage.
9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursday, Penn State Shenango, Sharon. Red Cross donates $4 for each presenting donor toward Penn State’s THON Charity benefiting pediatric cancer programs.
• Drs. Robert Piston and Allan Evangelista will conduct free hand and foot screenings from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday in Shenango Valley Senior Community Center, Hermitage. Appointments: 724-342-2663, ext. 33.
• Primary Health Network offers Affordable Health Care Act application assistance from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 11 and March 4 in Community Library of the Shenango Valley in Sharon. Learn step by step how to enroll for health care free of charge.
• UPMC Horizon offers these programs:
Silver and Fit, 1 to 2 p.m. today and Thursday, Wellness Center, 26 Conneaut Lake Road, Hempfield Township. Info: 724-588-3001.
Birth Place tours, 9 to 10 a.m. today, hospital in Farrell. Register: 724-983-7962.
Free Heel Screenings, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Womancare Center.
Call 724-347-7700 for an appointment.
• Sharon Regional Health System offers these programs in the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage, unless otherwise noted:
Tours of the Birthing Center in the hospital, 740 E. State St., Sharon, daily from 1 to 5 p.m.
Appointments: 724-983-3927 or www.sharonregional.com for a virtual tour of the Birthing Center.
“Highmark Senior Products” at 11 a.m. Wednesday. Register at 800-978-6590.
“Highmark Health on the Menu: What’s Your Number?” at noon Feb. 11. Gayle Linden, LPN, is the speaker. Register at Sharon Regional’s Health Information Center, 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
“New Guidelines for Cardiac Prevention” 12 p.m. Feb. 12. J. Ronald Mikolich, M.D., cardiologist, is the speaker. Light refreshments available. Register at Sharon Regional’s Health Information Center, 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
• The National Association for Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders holds a support group meeting for men and women with anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder and their families and friends at 5:30 p.m. Thursdays (except for holidays) in the Founders Room of Notre Dame Church, Hermitage.
Meetings are free. Info: Renee Zamary, 724-981-5435 or www.anad.org
• The Mahoning Valley New Voice Club, a support group for laryngectomes and their families/friends, will meet at 6 p.m. Feb. 12 at the Youngstown Hearing and Speech Center, located in Beeghly Medical Park, 6614 Southern Blvd., Youngstown.
Info: Donna Hendricks, 330-726-8855.
• Sharon Regional offers the following support group meetings:
Bariatric Support Group meets at 6 p.m. Feb. 13 at the Diangostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage.
To register or for more information call 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
Celiac Disease Support Group meets at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 13 at the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage.
To register or for information call 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
Bereavement Sharing Support Group meets at 1 p.m. Feb. 13 at Eat’n Park, State Street, Hermitage. This is for those grieving the death of a loved one.
To register or for more information, call 724-983-3878.
• Quota of Shenango Valley and Sharon Regional Health System sponsor an American Sign Language I sign language class beginning March 6 at the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage. There is a $20 fee.
• Sharon Regional Health System offers the following classes:
TOPS, or Take Pounds off Sensibly, meets at 9:30 a.m. Tuesdays in the Diagnostic and Imaging Center, Hermitage. Weigh-ins begin at 8:30 a.m. There is a fee but the first class is free. Register: 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
The Women’s Center of Sharon Regional presents “Prepared Childbirth Series” Mondays from 6 to 8 p.m. through February. Woman must be no less than 26 weeks pregnant and up to 37 weeks. Kim Stephenson, RN, LCCE, childbirth educator, is the instructor. Register at Sharon Regional’s Health Information Center, 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
“Healthcare Provider CPR Class” 9 a.m. Friday for new participants and 1:30 p.m. for CPR recertification at the School of Nursing, 740 E. State St., Sharon. There is a $50 fee for new $30 for recertifications. Register at 724-983-CPR1.
“Free CPR AED Heart Saver” 5:30 p.m. Feb. 12. Learn basics of an AED and CPR. Register at Sharon Regional’s Health Information Center, 724-983-5518 or 800-346-7997.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
- More Community Headlines