• A spaghetti dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at Shenango Valley Masonic Lodge 810, Route 62 and Neshannock Road, Hermitage.
Dinner includes meatballs, salad, drink and dessert. Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children younger than 12. Takeouts available.
A drawing will be held for two free dinners.
• The 25th annual Grove City Middle School spaghetti dinner will be from 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. The dinner includes meatballs, bread, salad, dessert and drink. Cost of the meal is $7 for adults and $5 for students/children; tickets may be purchased at the door. The dinner will be prepared and served by Grove City Middle School staff in the GCMS cafeteria.
• Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 3325 Morefield Road, Hermitage, is having a meat loaf dinner beginning at 5 p.m. Feb. 15. Cost is $7.50 for adults and $3.50 for ages 10 and younger. Takeouts available. Tickets can be purchased from any Dorcas member, in advance at the church office or at the door.
• A pancakes and sausage breakfast will be 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Feb. 16 at Mercer County Shrine Club, Lamor Road, Hermitage.
Cost is $7 for adults and children younger than age 12 are free.
Proceeds benefit the Mercer County Shrine Club and Wheel Patrol.
• A benefit soup lunch and Chinese auction for Larry Swartz Sr. is scheduled for noon to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Shenango Township Social Hall, state Route 18 and Gearhart Road.
Proceeds will help bring Larry home from Utah for additional surgery and rehab. Menu includes soups, salads and desserts. Takeouts available. There also will be Amish doughnuts and baked goods for sale. Cost for dinner is $8 for adults, $4 for children and free for ages 2 and younger.
Info: Betty, 724-342-3483; or Kaila, 724-946-8397.
• St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, 65 S. Keel Ridge Road, Hermitage, hosts a wild game dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Feb. 15.
Cost for the all-you-can-eat dinner is $20.
Advance tickets, call Mike at 724-528-3708.
• Salvation Army will hold its fifth annual indoor flea market/garage sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the center, 660 Fisher Hill, Sharon. Lunch will be available.
- Things to do from April 23, 2014
Urban League sponsors scholarship contest
High school seniors who live in Mercer County can win a $1,000 scholarship in the Shenango Valley Urban League Scholarship Fund essay contest.
Kids in the news from April 22, 2014
Local students compete in business olympics
Scout Court of Honor held for Garman
An Eagle Scout Court of Honor was held March 30 for Brad Garman, 18, a senior at Hickory High School, Hermitage.
Showing your artwork to family and friends is one thing. Putting your talent on public display in a gallery is a distinction artists dream about.
- Things to do from April 19, 2014
Victorian Days slated for June 14
Mercer Victorian Days will return on June 14 on the lawn of the courthouse from 9 a.m to 4 p.m.
Students earn ‘Awesome Authors’ honors at GCC
The Grove City College Department of Education, education honorary Kappa Delta Pi and the Hamilton Curriculum Library honored approximately 70 kindergarten through third-grade creative writers at the Grove City College “Awesome Authors” awards ceremony earlier this spring on the Grove City College campus.
Greenville student wins grand prize at YSU fest
Greenville High School students again scored impressive wins recently at the two-day Youngstown State University English Festival.
BCRC sets programs, year-end shows
The following programs are scheduled for April by Buhl Community Recreation Center, Sharon:
Point is watch movie, then talk about it
A lively discussion is expected for this month’s surprise Mind Over Media movie.
Moderator Ryan Bibza picked the movie, which won’t be unveiled to the public until it’s shown at 6:30 p.m. Saturday at Broad Street Yoga in downtown Grove City.
- Community briefs from April 16, 2014
- Things to do from April 16, 2014
Kyle McDonough earns Civil Air Patrol recognition
Cadet Maj. Emily Conroy, cadet deputy commander of Civil Air Patrol’s Youngstown ARS Composite Squadron, recently presented the Wright Brothers Award and promotion to Cadet Staff Sgt. Kyle McDonough of Hermitage.
- Things to do from April 14, 2014
- More Community Headlines