• Club Pet Adoption is holding a bake sale and fun day, “Puppy Love,” from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. today at the Shenango Valley Mall, Hermitage. There will be hundreds of baked goods, a huge raffle basket, 50-50 raffle, puppy kissing booth and more to benefit the no-kill shelter. Info: 724-944-3390.
• The annual Brookfield Fallen Firefighter Wild Game Dinner is Feb. 15 at Yankee Lake Ballroom. Doors open at 5 p.m. and buffet dinner of wild game and regular food will be served at 6 p.m. A D.J. will entertain from 4 to 10 p.m. There will be gun raffles, Chinse auction, meat freezer, TV raffles and 50/50 raffles.
Tickets are $18 in advance at the Brookfield Fire Station at 774 state Route 7 NE or by calling 330-448-1000, ext. 3; or $20 at the door.
• A spaghetti dinner to benefit Safe4Athletes, a nonprofit organization to end bullying, is set for 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday at North Sharon Fire Hall, 469 Thornton St., Sharon.
Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children ages 12 and younger.
There will be a Chinese auction, 50/50 raffle and participants can meet Katherine Starr, founder and an Olympic medalist.
Tickets, 724-813-9302; 724-658-9647; or 724-342-7024.
• Mercer County Board of Assistance Retirees meet at 1 p.m. Tuesday at Red Lobster, 3370 Shenango Valley Freeway, Hermitage.
• Mercer County Historical Society Civil War Roundtable invites the public to a phone chat with Tom Fink, curator of the Tudor House in Baltimore – home of the John Wilkes Booth family – on Tuesday at MCHS, 119 S. Pitt St., Mercer. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. and it starts at 7 p.m. Fink will talk of the lives of Booth family members and stories of Booth and his life in western Pennsylvania.
The roundtable meets on the second Tuesday of each month from September through May. Participation in the discussion group is open to the public and is free. Info: 724-662-3490.
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
Dean's list from Feb. 24, 2014
A list of students who have made the dean's list at their respective schools.
- More Community Headlines