• Immaculate Heart of Mary Church sponsors a bus trip to the newly opened Hard Rock Rocksino in Northfield Park, Ohio, on March 13. Bus leaves the church parking lot in Mercer at 9 a.m. and will leave the casino at 4:30 p.m. to return home.
Cost is $35 per person and includes $15 in incentives and a $5 food voucher.
Info: Marge, 724-854-1503.
• Our Lady of Fatima Altar Rosary Society sponsors a bus trip to Rivers Casino, Pittsburgh, June 9. Bus departs at 9:30 a.m. and returns at 7 p.m.
Reservations: 724-962-1665 after March 6.
• Shenango Valley Senior Center, 220 N. Buhl Farm Drive, Hermitage, offers these programs:
Rivers Casino bus trip, Feb. 20. Cost is $30 and includes $20 free slot play and $5 food voucher. Reserve a seat in person at the center.
Delbert Coxson will conduct a hoe-down square dancing tutorial and the Virginia Reel and Circle dances at 2 p.m. Feb. 26. Cost is $1.
Don Gold “The Art Guy” offers two new classes March 12. The first is Watercolor/Acrylic paint class at 10 a.m. and the second is Drawing Made Easy at 1 p.m. See his demo at the center at 11 a.m. March 5. If interested call 724-652-0752 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hickory High School class of 1958 meets for dinner at 5 p.m. Feb. 18 at Ferrara’s Taste of Italy, Sharon.
All classmates, spouses and significant others are invited.
Info: 724-342-0035 or email@example.com
• West Middlesex High School class of 1959 gathers at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the (West) Middlesex Diner.
All classmates and friends are welcome.
• Mercer County Vietnam Era Veterans Association meets at 7 p.m. Sunday at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1338, 439 E. State St., Sharon.
• Mercer County Disabled American Veterans Chapter 55 gathers at 7 p.m. Feb. 19 at Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1338, 439 E. State St., Sharon.
• Farrell High School class of 1961 meets for lunch at noon Monday at Jess’s Junction, Hermitage.
Spouses and friends are welcome.
• Primetimers, a 55 and older group meets Tuesday at Clarks Mills United Methodist Church at 10:30 a.m. for fellowship. Sam Bellich, Mercer County Area Agency on Aging executive director, will speak at 11 a.m. on elder abuse and medical assistance eligibility. A potluck lunch will be at noon.
Take a dish to share.
• Farrell High School class of 1947 meets at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 27 at The Golden Apple Inn, Wheatland.
Reservations are not needed.
• Midwestern Local Task Force – Right to Education will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. March 4 at Laurel High School, near New Castle. A brief training will be given related to individual education plans with a focus on transition planning. The session will be hosted by Lawrence County Task Force members.
The presentation will be the first 45 minutes and then all participants are welcome to stay for the open meeting and learn about the task force, which advocates for students receiving special education in Butler, Lawrence and Mercer counties.
Info: 724-458-6700, ext. 1207.
• Kinsman United Methodist Church trustees will serve a chicken and biscuit dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Feb. 19.
Tickets are $7 for adults, $3.75 for children ages 3 to 12 and free for children younger than age 3.
Takeouts available by calling 330-876-5641.
• The Presbyterian Women of Unity Presbyterian Church, Greenfield, will hold an indoor yard sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 28 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 1.
Lunch will be available.
Proceeds will support mission projects.
- Things to do from March 13, 2014
Anxieties all in day’s work for returning musician
Rick Hornyak considers himself someone who lives in the moment.
Unfortunately, it also means the musician has trouble seeing the big picture.
Things to do from March 12, 2014
A list of events offered to the community in the area.
Community briefs from March 12, 2014
Quota Club offering college scholarships
Military social worker to speak at annual dinner
Farm management plan seminar set at library
Kids in the news from March 10, 2014
Isaac Williams captures first place at PJAS
Things to do from March 10, 2014
A listing of things to do in the area.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- More Community Headlines