• Sharon Heritage Society will hold its first meeting of the new year at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Community Library of the Shenango Valley, corner of East State Street and Sharpsville Avenue, Sharon.
Bill Philson, director of the Mercer County Historical Society, will present a program on the Underground Railroad. Learn about the role Mercer County played in it, as well as the many associated locations.
This is a slightly earlier start time than our meetings. The program will probably last 40 minutes to an hour. After the program, you are encouraged to explore the library and discover the wealth of resources for the history buff.
• Greenville Penn High School class of 1949 meets for lunch at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at Carini Restaurant, 212 Main St., Greenville.
• Wilmington Township Mercer County Civic League meets at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday in the Wilmington Township, Mercer County, Municipal Building.
Eric Peterson of Jameson Health System, New Castle, will speak on health-related topics.
• Greenville Area Historical Society Lecture Series continues at 2 p.m. Sunday at Zion’s Reformed Church, Main Street, Greenville.
Greg Landfried will be speaking on the Greenville Fraternal Order of Elks and its role in the community.
Refreshments served after the lecture.
• Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Mercer, is sponsoring a bus trip to the newly-opened Hard Rock Rocksino in Northfield Park, Ohio, on March 13. Bus departs the church parking lot at 9 a.m.
Participants will leave the casino at 4:30 p.m. to return home.
Cost is $35 per person and includes $15 incentives and $5 food voucher.
Details: Marge, 724-854-1503.
• McQuiston Center by the Park, 29 Railroad St., Sandy Lake, hosts a bus trip to Mackinaw Island, Mich., Aug. 18-22.
• Team Danielle Earthday luncheon is set for April 26 at Avalon at Squaw Creek, Vienna. There will be raffles, door prizes and more.
All proceeds benefit sarcoma cancer research.
Team Danielle also will attend the Pittsburgh Cure Sarcoma event on July 12 at North Park in Pittsburgh.
More information, regarding both events, will be announced at a later date.
• St. George Serbian Orthodox Church, 65 S. Keel Ridge Road, Hermitage, hosts a wild game dinner from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday.
Cost for the all-you-can-eat dinner is $20.
Advance tickets, call Mike at 724-528-3708.
• The Northwest Pa. Auctioneers Association’s annual spring auction to benefit Shriner’s Children’s Hospital in Erie will be Saturday at Hickory VFW on Route 62, Hermitage.
The hospital provides free care and transportation for any child in need of medical services.
• A braised steak dinner will be served from 5 to 6:30 p.m. Feb. 26 at Fredonia Presbyterian Church, Water Street, Fredonia.
Cost is $9 for adults and $5 for children.
• Volant Volunteer Fire Company holds an all-you-can-eat buckwheat pancake and sausage day from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. March 1.
Cost is $8 for adults; $6 for children ages 6 to 12; and children ages 5 and younger, are free.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
- More Community Headlines
- 'Les Miserables'