• Jamestown Lions Club holds a clothing giveaway from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. today, Thursday and Friday at the Lions community center.
Good clothing can be donated at the center. People in need can browse to see what they can find. Everything is free. Everyone is welcome.
Info: 724-932-5589 on the days of the giveaway, or anytime at 724-813-4997.
• Immaculate Heart of Mary Church, Mercer, is sponsoring a bus trip to the newly opened Hard Rock Rocksino in Northfield, Ohio, on March 13. Bus departs at 9 a.m. from the church parking lot and will leave the casino at 4:30 p.m. to return home.
Cost is $35 a person and includes $15 incentives and $5 food voucher.
Info: Marge, 724-854-1503.
• The Ancient Order of Hibernians meets at 7 p.m. Tuesday and the first Tuesday of each month at Jess’s Junction, Hermitage.
The group is an Irish Catholic men’s organization. New members are welcome.
• NUMISMATICS – Wheatland Mercer County Coin Club meets at 7 p.m. March 5 and the first Wednesday of each month in Wheatland Borough Building.
There will be special raffles, door prizes and refreshments.
Guests are welcome.
• Primetimers, a 55 and older group, meets at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Clarks Mills United Methodist Church. Eileen Opitz, will speak at 11 a.m. on “Be Happy.” Lunch is served at noon.
• Members of Mercer County Historical Society who would like to help plan the society’s representation in the Mercer Borough Bicentennial celebration are urged to attend a short meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday in the society library. The event will be July 12; the celebration is from July 11-13.
• Friends of the Grove City Community Library will host its biannual used book sale starting Monday through March 22 during regular library hours. Come earlier for the best selection of fiction and nonfiction books, children’s and youth materials, videos, and audio books.
All proceeds benefit Grove City Community Library.
• Highway to Heaven Team Ministries Inc. will serve a homemade salisbury streak dinner from noon to 6 p.m. Saturday at Triple D’s Diner, Farrell.
Menu includes butter whipped mashed potatoes, sweet corn, dinner roll, dessert and beverage.
Cost is $10.
• Grace United Methodist Church, 210 S. Broad St., Grove City, hosts Soup & Bread Line Meal, with bowls made by students of George Junior Republic’s Art-2-0 program and Grove City College from noon to 3 p.m. Sunday.
Proceeds benefit Grove City Community Food Pantry.
Tickets including bread and soup in a one-of-a-kind bowl to keep: $10 adults and $5 for ages 16 and younger.
Events of interest to the community are published as space permits. Send written information to The Herald, Box 51, Sharon 16146 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information is not taken over the phone.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
- More Community Headlines
- 'Les Miserables'