• Sawhill Retirees meet at 10 a.m. Dec. 5 at Sharon American Legion.
Physical therapist Adrianne Tool will speak.
All retirees and their spouses are welcome.
• The nonprofit Women of the Moose holds a free trash and treasure sale from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 8 at the Farrell Moose Lodge, 1321 Division St.
There will be children’s clothes and toys, knick-knacks, crafts and Christmas cookies. Distributors will sell their goods.
• A benefit spaghetti dinner will be held for Mary Setting of Mineral Ridge, Ohio, who is battling stage 3 cervical cancer. The dinner will run 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Brookfield Conservation Club, 1953 Sharon-Hogue Road.
Mary, a mother of four, needs to travel to and from Cleveland five days a week for chemotherapy and radiation treatments.
Tickets for the dinner are $8 for adults; $5 for children ages 4-8; and free for children ages 3 and younger.
Monetary donations with checks made payable to Mary Setting are welcome.
To donate a basket or baked goods, call Betty, 330-360-4382; Debbie, 330-750-0732; or Katie, 330-506-7236.
• Plant’s Herb Farm Bed & Breakfast, 104 S. Foster Road, Mercer, holds a Ladies Night Out from 7 to 9 p.m. Dec. 6.
Come shop for great gifts for everyone. Refreshments include wine and cheese.
• Shenango Valley Senior Center, 220 N. Buhl Farm Drive, Hermitage, offers an Oglebay “Festival of Lights” trip Dec. 3 with two departure sites for ages 50 and older.
Participants will depart at 2 p.m. from the senior center and at 2:30 p.m. from Sharon City Centre.
Itinerary includes a meal at Melman’s Cafeteria, a tour the Oglebay Mansion, a visit to the Good Zoo and West Virginia Train Display, the Holiday Laser Light Show, and finally a bus tour of the Festival of Lights.
Seats reserved with $50 payment.
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
Dean's list from Feb. 24, 2014
A list of students who have made the dean's list at their respective schools.
- More Community Headlines