• Trout stocking and pancake dinner is set for March 1. Preseason trout stocking will be at noon at Neshannock Creek in Volant. The annual Volant Volunteer Fire Company pancake breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the fire department.
Cost for the pancake meal is $8 for adults, $6 for ages 6 to 12 and free for ages 5 and younger.
• Hermitage Kiwanis annual pancake and sausage breakfast will be from 7 a.m. to noon April 12 at Delahunty Middle School in Hermitage.
Cost is $6 for adults and $3 for ages 10 and younger.
• Stoneboro Presbyterian Church is having a chili cook-off Feb. 23 after the church service.
There is no cost for the lunch, but when you find what you believe to be the best chili your donation to that chili pot will determine the winner.
Proceeds will fund the church’s summer camp programs.
• The Presbyterian Women of Unity Presbyterian Church, 1857 Mercer-West Middlesex Road (Route 318), Greenfield, will hold an indoor yard sale from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 28 and 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. March 1.
Lunch will be available.
Proceeds benefit mission projects.
• The Third Annual Pool for Paws, an 8-ball tournament, begins with sign-ups at noon March 29 at Blackie’s Billiards, 118 Vine Ave., Sharon.
Entry fee is $20.
Animals will be on-site for the event and applications will be taken. There will be a Chinese auction.
Proceeds benefit Animal Advocacy.
Arts & crafts
• Sharon American Legion spring vendor and craft show is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 8 at Sharon American Legion, 1395 E. State St., Sharon.
There will be a Chinese auction and food available.
All proceeds benefit Sharon American Legion.
• A unique variety of local crafted quilts will be on display from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 15 at the Wilmington Township, Mercer County, municipal building, 35 Auction Road, New Wilmington.
Featured this year will be Diana Foster Magee’s quilts.
Some quilts for sale will be included in the display. The quilters have a beautiful Boston Commons quilt to be raffled at the annual garage sale on May 17. Tickets may be purchased for $1 each, or six for $5.
The event is sponsored by Wilmington Township, Mercer County, Civic League Quilters.
Refreshments available. Admission is $2.
Proceeds benefit the Scholarship Fund. Info: 724-946-8074.
• Sharon High School class of 1962 meets for lunch at noon Wednesday in Quaker Steak & Lube, Sharon.
Spouses and guests are welcome.
• Primetimers, a 55 and over group, meets at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday for fellowship at Clarks Mills United Methodist Church. Bingo starts at 11 a.m. and lunch will be provided at noon.
• Packard Electric and Delphi Packard Local 717 retirees meet at 10:30 a.m. Wednesday at Local 717 Union Hall in Warren (Ohio) Commerce Park.
Members are asked to take a labeled covered dish and table service.
Representatives from The Center for Hearing Care will offer hearing screenings from 10 a.m. to noon. Details on the hearing screenings: 330-394-3300.
• Jamestown Area Alumni Association meets at 6 p.m. Sunday at Jamestown Presbyterian Church.
Envelopes are to be stuffed and help is welcome.
• Sharpsville Historical Society will sponsor the following bus trips:
Presque Downs Casino, Erie, April 2. Depart at 9 a.m. from Sharon City Centre and leave casino at 6 p.m. Cost is $35 and includes $35 in free slot play. Optional side trip will be to Wegman’s Market.
Lady Luck Casino in Farmington, Pa., on May 14. Depart at 8:30 a.m. and leave casino at 6 p.m. Cost is $40 and includes $20 in free slot play.
Reservations or info: Rita Sloan at 724-962-7347 or 724-813-9199.
Kids in the news from March 10, 2014
Isaac Williams captures first place at PJAS
Things to do from March 10, 2014
A listing of things to do in the area.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
- More Community Headlines
- Kids in the news from March 10, 2014