• Girls of Brookfield High School class of 1969 will meet for lunch at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Olive Garden, Niles, Ohio.
• Brookfield “Over the Hill Gang” seniors gather at 10 a.m. Friday in Brookfield firehall.
Diane Sippl will entertain.
• Sawhill retirees meet at 10 a.m. March 4 at Sharon American Legion Hall.
Retirees and spouses are welcome.
• Farrell High School class of 1945 meets for lunch at noon March 4 at Muscarella’s Cafe Italia, Sharpsville.
Classmates and guests are welcome.
• A Shrove Tuesday pancake supper will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. March 4 at Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 3325 Morefield Road, Hermitage.
Menu includes all-you-can-eat pancakes, sausage, fruit cup, coffee, tea or punch.
Cost is $5 for adults and $2.50 for children. Tickets: church office, 724-981-2050.
• Lackawannock Township Civic League holds a chili luncheon from 1 to 3:30 p.m. March 9 in the municipal building to benefit the scholarship fund.
Crackers, bread and beverages (hot and cold) will be provided. Those attending are asked to take their own soup bowl and spoons. Dessert will be available.
Cost is $5 for adults and $3 for children ages 10 and younger.
There will also be a Chinese auction with tickets available that day.
Info: 724-346-4332 or 724 347-2636.
• Quota International of Hermitage’s Gutchies for Kidz program continues to accept new undergarments for schoolage children through high school. Drop-off tubs are at:
• Knott’s Interiors – 1505 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage
• Greenville Savings Bank – 550 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage
• Je’riel Fashions – 1550 E. State St., Hermitage
• Lori Rollinson’s Hair Boutique – 22 E. Shenango St., Sharpsville
Info: 724-347-7410 or 724-699-7282.
• Club Pet Adoption’s Reverse Raffle Dinner is set for April 5 at the Reynolds Veterans of Foreign Wars. Doors open at 5 p.m. and dinner served at 7 p.m.
Tickets are $50 per couple and include dinner for two and a chance at the $1,200 payout.
New this year - a “ghost board” offering people unable to attend a chance at $1,000. Tickets for this board are $15.
Info and tickets: Jane Baglier at 724-704-1314.
• Hubbard First United Methodist Church Men’s Club, 48 Church St., holds its annual spaghetti dinner and Chinese auction from 3:30 to 7 p.m. March 8.
Tickets are $8 for adults, $5 for children ages 6-12, and free for children ages 5 and younger. Tickets: at the door or by calling 330-534-3383. Takeouts available.
Proceeds will help fund church projects.
Arts & crafts
• Mercer High School Varsity Cheerleading holds a vendor/craft show from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. SaturdayMarch 1 at the high school.
All proceeds will benefit a cheerleading competition in Walt Disney World in Florida.
Admission is $2.
• Sharon American Legion holds a Spring Vendor and Craft Show from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. March 8.
There will be as many as 50 vendors and a Chinese auction. Food will be available.
Proceeds benefit the legion.
• A free penne pasta dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. (or while supplies last) SaturdayMarch 1 at Chestnut Ridge Church of God, 7215 Chestnut Ridge Road S.E., Hubbard Township.
Menu consists of pasta and meatballs, salad, bread and butter, dessert and beverage.
Free tickets are required. Get them from church members or at the church office. Call the church to arrange a pickup time or tickets can be held at the door.
No carryouts available.
Events of interest to the community are published as space permits. Send written information to The Herald, Box 51, Sharon 16146 or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Information is not taken over the phone.
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
Dean's list from Feb. 24, 2014
A list of students who have made the dean's list at their respective schools.
- More Community Headlines