• AARP Shenango will meet at 1 p.m. Wednesday in Shenango Valley Senior Community Center, North Buhl Farm Drive, Sharon.
Capt. Scott Flanders of the Salvation Army’s Sharon unit will present a picture of the total array of programs and services which are in play locally.
On March 5, Eileen Mazza from Pennsylvania AARP will present Make Your Voice heard on Medicare and Social Security. Other chapters of AARP and local seniors are invited to attend the March presentation.
Inquiries: Tom Rookey, 724-347-7224.
• Farrell High School class of 1952 meets for lunch at noon Wednesday at Hickory Grille, Hermitage.
• A benefit soup lunch and Chinese auction for Larry Swartz Sr. is scheduled for noon to 4 p.m. Feb. 8 at the Shenango Township Social Hall, state Route 18 and Gearhart Road.
Proceeds will help bring Larry home from Utah for additional surgery and rehab.
Menu includes soups, salads and desserts. Takeouts available.
There will also be Amish doughnuts and baked goods for sale.
Info: Betty Lou Anderson, 724-342-3483, or Kaila Kuhn, 724-946-8397.
• Grove City AARP Chapter 3423 holds its monthly meeting and luncheon at noon Feb. 13 at the Veterans of Foreign Wars, Blair Street. A board meeting will be held at 11:15 a.m.
Addie Gallo-Formaini will present a program on the Meals on Wheels program in Grove City.
The meeting is open to all interested persons over the age of 50. Those attending are asked to take a hot or cold dish, beverage and your own table service. Coffee and water will be provided.
Info: 724-458-8316 or 724-458-5032.
• Winter Soup Day fundraiser for Mark Twain Manor will be from 2 to 6 p.m. Feb. 8 in the Gibson House on Liberty Street in Jamestown.
Meal includes choice of homemade soups, bread, pie and beverage.
Cost is $10.
A hymn sing will be held at 2 p.m. Feb. 9 in the same location.
• Pretty Girls Inc. presents “Kindness” from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. every Wednesday through March 21 at New Light Christian Education Community Center, Cedar Avenue, Sharon.
Help Pretty Girls Inc. give back to the community by donating blankets and/or monetary donations to local organizations.
Info: 724-418-1959 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• The Sixth Annual Ladies Day Out will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 8 at Rocky Grove Volunteer Fire Department in Venango County.
As many as 35 crafters and vendors will be at the fire department benefit which offers something for everyone. There will also be specialty foods and entertainment venues.
A Chinese raffle will be held.
The Ladies Auxiliary will have the kitchen open for sandwiches and homemade soups.
Admission and parking are free.
Info: 814-432-4449 after 5 p.m.
• Grove City Community Library Friends of the Library is accepting gently used books for the used book sale to be held in March. Donations will be accepted during regular library hours until Feb. 28 or until the storage area is full.
DVDs, CDs and magazines will be accepted, but not textbooks, encyclopedias or Reader’s Digest Condensed Books.
• Hermitage Parks and Recreation is sponsoring a bus trip to the Cleveland Home and Garden Show on Feb. 15. The bus leaves Hermitage Municipal Building parking lot at 8:30 a.m. and returns at 7 p.m.
Cost is $38 a person and includes transportation and admission to the show. The bus will stop at Cracker Barrel in Twinsburg for dinner.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
Community briefs from Feb. 25, 2014
Card shower planned for Orville Dean’s 93rd
Apple Castle hosts pruning demonstration
Water conservation is focus of home tour
Gardeners can get basics of starting seeds indoors
Things to do from Feb. 25, 2014
A listing of happenings and events in the area available to the public.
High School Speech Team sends eight to state tournament
The Mercer High School Speech Team opened post-season competition Saturday by qualifying eight members to the Pennsylvania High School Speech League state tournament during District 1’s annual qualifying tournament at Pine-Richland High School, Gibsonia. District 1 includes member schools in Mercer, Butler, Crawford, and Erie counties.
- More Community Headlines