Community Library of the Shenango Valley, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave., Sharon, holds these activities in May:
• Evening Story Hour, 6 p.m. May 7 for ages 3-5 and their caregivers at the YMCA, 925 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage. Stories, songs, and crafts.
• C.O.O.L. Program of Sharon presents Steve Haberman: Magician Extraordinaire, 1 p.m. May 17. A magic show for kids of all ages.
• The Pied Pipers of Harding University: Fables and Fairy Tales, 4 p.m. May 21 for children of all ages and their caregivers. A live production of classic children’s tales performed by students of Harding University.
• 4-H Cloverbuds, a special 4-H program designed for children ages 5-8, 6 p.m. May 22. Come find out what 4-H is all about. Presented by Mercer County Cooperative Extension. Info: 724-662-4131.
• Summer Story Hour, 10:30 a.m. every Wednesday beginning June 11 for ages 3-5. Stories, songs, and more.
• Summer reading registration begins June 9. Register for our summer reading incentive program and earn prizes and coupons weekly. Children may read either five books per week, or may log reading time (210 minutes each week or a half hour each day), depending on age and reading levels. The program will run to the end of July.
• Chess Club, 5:30 p.m. every Monday and Thursday. Beginners welcome.
• Knit, Crochet & More, 12:30 to 2 p.m. on Tuesdays at the library. Take your needlework and get tips, ideas, and new patterns. All levels of experience welcome.
• Internet basics classes, 6:30 p.m. on Mondays, May 5-19; or Thursdays, May 8-22. Learn how to navigate the Internet, set up e-mail accounts, and explore the World Wide Web. Registration required, call the library at 724-981-4360.
• Computer classes for beginners, 4 to 5:30 p.m. June 2 through July 7. New to computers? Learn the basics – surf the Internet, write a letter, send an e-mail, move a mouse. Registration: 724-981-4360.
• Microsoft Excel classes, 6:30 to 8 p.m. June 2 through July 7. Call the library for an upcoming schedule and to register for a free class, 724-981-4360.
• Fine Arts Painting: Watercolor & Acrylics, 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays, June 7 through June 21; or 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturdays, July 12 through July 26. Attend our free art class taught by professional artist Don Gold. Register: 724-981-4360.
• Electronic gadget instruction, 2 to 5 p.m. May 21 by appointment. In a one-on-one session, a librarian will answer your questions and guide you through the process of borrowing library books for your Kindle, iPad, Nook, and other related devices. For a 30-minute appointment, call the library at 724-981-4360.
• Shenango Valley Gardeners, 6 p.m. the second Monday of each month.
• Shakespeare in the Stacks, 5 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month. Read plays, watch movies and discuss works by the Bard of Avon.
• Independent Film & Discussion, 6 p.m. May 15. Mary, Queen of Scots. In a lavish film by Swiss director Thomas Imbach, French actress Camille Rutherford portrays one of England’s most famous monarchs. Watch the trailer on our website. Join us the third Thursday of each month for a thought-provoking film and discussion.
• Shenango Valley Pennwriters, 1 to 4 p.m. the third Saturday of each month. Learn to sharpen skills and network with other writers. Info: Catherine McLean, 814-425-7163.
• Friday Night Magic, 3 to 5 p.m. Fridays. Play the card game Magic: The Gathering at the Library. Meet new friends and win new cool cards.
• Read to A Therapy Dog, 6 p.m. the last Thursday of each month in the children’s area. Meet specially-trained therapy dogs. Event sponsored by Canine Connections.
Library book clubs
• Evening Book Club, 6 p.m. May 1. Reading Divergent by Veronica Roth.
Afternoon Book Club, 2 p.m. May 15. Reading A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness.
Call the library at 724-981-4360 to borrow your copy of the book and to register for either book club.
• Mercer County Genealogy Society, 7 p.m. May 15. Ralph Mehler, president of the Sharpsville Historical Society will speak about the historical society and its resources.
• Butterfly Gardening, 6 p.m. May 28. Learn how to start and maintain a flower garden that will attract butterflies throughout the summer season. Presented by Donnajean Enyeart.
Library Hours: Monday through Thursday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday & Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. All programs are free and open to the public. Information about the library or its programs, call 724-981-4360, visit www.clsv.net or find the library on Facebook.