• St. John’s Lutheran Church, corner of Beil Hill Road and state Route 58, south of Greenville, holds its annual barbecue chicken takeout, bake sale and car wash from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday. Chickens will be done around noon for takeout only.
To order chicken, call 724-588-7211.
• A spaghetti dinner will be served from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday at the Shenango Valley Masonic Lodge 810, Route 62 and Neshannock Road, Hermitage.
Dinner includes spaghetti and meatballs, salad, drink and dessert. Takeouts available.
There will be a drawing for two free dinners.
Cost is $10 for adults and $5 for children younger than age 12.
• Friends of Community Library of the Shenango Valley will hold their spring book sale from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. today; 10 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. Thursday, and 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday in the library basement, 11 N. Sharpsville Ave., Sharon.
Thousands of books, magazines and audio-visuals have been donated for the sale.
All proceeds are donated to the library.
• Reynolds Alumni Association will host a fundraiser from 5 to 8 p.m. May 15 at Wendy’s restaurant, Hadley Road, Greenville.
All proceeds benefit the scholarship fund.
• Rite Aid, 811 E. State St., Sharon, is raising money for Children’s’ Miracle Network. Events include a sidewalk sale and cookout Saturday and a cookout on May 17. There will also be a Chinese auction running through May 24 with 31 baskets, which include a Steelers basket, a Kindlefire, a Coach purse and wallet, a lottery tree and ore.
All proceeds help kids who can’t afford to get the care they need.
• K-9 S.O.S. 10th Annual K-9 Run, with support from Mercer County A.B.A.T.E., is set for May 18 at the Clark House, 3590 Valley View Road, Clark. Sign-up from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Last bike out at 1 p.m. and last bike in at 6 p.m.
All vehicles are welcome; all donations accepted.
First place prize is $400 and low hand is $100. There will be a 50/50 raffle, Chinese auction, T-shirts, food and music.
Cost is $15 and includes run, dinner and music.
All proceeds benefit K-9 S.O.S. Search and Rescue Team. Info: 724-944-5535 or 724-866-0424.
Striking a chord
At 84, Bran Vuich feels the typical aches and pains of someone who has lived a life of physical activity.
Things to do from July 26, 2014
A list of some of the events happening in the area in the coming days.
- Things to do from July 25, 2014
His world’s a stage
Andrew Wilson calls working as a musical theater performer a “bipolar lifestyle.”
- Things to do from July 24, 2014
- Things to do from July 23, 2014
- At the Library
Things to do from July 22, 2014
A listing of some of the activities available to the public in the area.
For Your Health for July 22, 2014
A listing of some of the heath-related programs available in the area.
Health briefs from July 22, 2014
Nursing program exams set
‘Dining with Diabetes’ series slated
Things to do from July 21, 2014
A roundup of some the events occuring in the area.
Armstrong’s moon walk wasn’t a shot in the dark
As Farrell resident Ted Pedas watched Neil Armstrong on TV make his historic one small step for man, the budding scientist had no idea he would eventually become friends with the famous explorer.
- Things to do from July 18, 2014
Shoe Our Children at $2,849
The Herald’s annual $25,000 appeal for the Shoe Our Children program through its Good News Fund has raised $2,849.
- Things to do from July 17, 2014
- More Community Headlines
- Striking a chord