• Meet with a Legaci certified buyer to examine your unwanted gold, silver, and platinum jewelry today at UPMC Horizon’s Greenville hospital and Thursday and Friday at the hospital in Farrell. This is a fundraiser for UPMC Horizon Community Health Foundation. Appointments: 724-983-7159.
• Quota International of Hermitage’s Gutchies for Kidz program continues to accept new undergarments for school-age children through high school.
Drop-off tubs are at:
• Knott’s Interiors – 1505 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage
• Greenville Savings Bank – 550 N. Hermitage Road, Hermitage
• Je’riel Fashions – 1550 E. State St., Hermitage
• Lori Rollinson’s Hair Boutique – 22 E. Shenango St., Sharpsville
Info: 724-347-7410 or 724-699-7282.
• Grove City Medical Center invites crafters, or would-be crafters to warm up their holiday spirit with a make-and-take holiday centerpiece designing event from 5 to 8 p.m. Dec. 4 at the hospital’s Education Center.
The event, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside!” will feature all of the supplies to make a lovely hand-crafted holiday centerpiece using live local greenery, adorned with ribbon and candles, under the guidance of skilled instructors. Crafters will also enjoy assorted holiday refreshments and the fellowship of spending an evening with friends and neighbors!
For a donation of just $10, crafters leave with a lovely centerpiece to complement their holiday décor, or to give away as the perfect hostess gift. Those wishing to purchase a ready-made centerpiece are welcome to do so for $15.
All proceeds will be donated to the March of Dimes on behalf of Grove City Medical Center’s Maternal Child Health Department, to benefit premature babies and their families throughout Western Pennsylvania.
To register, call 724-450-7191.
•The theme for the Mercer County Girl Scout float in the Hermitage Light Up Night Parade at 6 p.m. Saturday will be “Pink Christmas.” The Girl Scouts recently decided to tie in a service project with the float. They will be collecting bandanas for cancer patients receiving radiation/chemo treatments. There will be walkers beside the float with collection baskets labeled for bandana donation.
• Mercer County Conservation District has a free movie night, “A Duckumentary,” from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday in the “Pig Barn” at Munnell Run Farm, located at 24 Avalon Court Suite 300, Mercer. The movie highlights the fantastic life of and fascinating facts about ducks. This movie will showcase many of the little-known facts about these beautiful creatures.
Drinks and fresh popcorn available; all money donations received for the refreshments will go towards future environmental education programs.
Pre-register today by calling 724-662- 2242 and asking for Jacqueline or Chris.
• Shenango Valley Senior Center, 220 N. Buhl Farm Drive, Hermitage, is hosting an Oglebay “Festival of Lights” trip Dec. 3 with two departure sites. Participants will depart at 2 p.m. from the senior center and at 2:30 p.m. from the parking lot of Sharon City Centre. Itinerary includes eating at Melman’s Cafeteria, touring the Oglebay Mansion, and visiting the Good Zoo, West Virginia Train Display, Holiday Laser Light Show before reboarding the bus for the Festival of Lights. Seats reserved with $50 payment and particpants must be 50 or older. Info: 981-7950 or 346-4712
• The Salvation Army holds its 24th Annual Thanksgiving Day Feast on Thanksgiving Day, Nov. 28, for everyone in the community. This homestyle sit-down meal will be served at noon. Devotions begin at 11 a.m.
Meals will be delivered to seniors who can not attend.
Reservations or delivery (for shut-ins), call 724-347-5537.
• Mercer County Council of Republican Women will hold their annual Christmas luncheon Dec. 7 at Jess’s Junction, 3640 East State Street, Hermitage. The luncheon will start at 11 a.m.
Entertainment will be provided by the Grove City Women’s Choir. A special menu of items will be available for your choice. Reservations, call Edna Gibson at 724-962-0792 by Nov. 29.
• Mercer County Republican Women Committee Christmas party will begin at 7 p.m. Dec. 12 in the Brandy Springs Community Building.
The organizers ask that participants bring cookies to share and an unwrapped gift for a child to be given to charity.
•The Davis and Ulp Streets Block Watch will meet at 6 p.m. today in Mount Olive Batist Church, 8148 Ulp St., Masury.
All Masury residents are invited to attend.
• Farrell High School class of 1960 meets for lunch at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday at The Golden Apple Inn, Wheatland.
Spouse and guests are welcome.
Kids in the news from March 10, 2014
Isaac Williams captures first place at PJAS
Things to do from March 10, 2014
A listing of things to do in the area.
As the person portraying Jean Valjean in "Les Miserables" for Area Community Theater of Sharpsville, Justin Ray must convey the emotion of the situation not just by how he looks, but in how he sings.
- Things to do from March 8, 2014
- Things to do from March 7, 2014
Rotary Club to fete Meehan
Patty Meehan will be honored by Sharon Rotary Club at its Chocolate and Wine Tasting event Saturday.
- Things to do from March 6, 2014
Tickets go on sale March 15 for dinner theater
The Presbyterian Church of West Middlesex dinner theater celebrates its 20th anniversary this year. In honor of the occasion, this year’s show will feature past performances named as greatest hits.
- Things to do from March 5, 2014
Art of the unknown
The artist giveth, but sometimes the artist has to taketh away.
Susan Jacobs is working on a mask impression – made from a cast of a real person’s face – with a scarf-like appendage wrapping around it. She has painted the piece but decided it is too shiny, so she’s sanding it to cut the shine. Maybe she’ll add more paint; maybe she won’t.
- Things to do from Feb. 27, 2014
- Things to do from Feb. 26, 2014
College graduate from Feb. 25, 2014
A list of area students who have recently graduated from colleges or universities.
Organizations from Feb. 25, 2014
On campus from Feb. 25, 2014
News from colleges and universities about area students.
- More Community Headlines
- Kids in the news from March 10, 2014