Fire in chimney forces family of 3 out of house
SHARON – An early morning fire Monday in Sharon forced a family outside into the 15-degree weather.
When firefighters arrived shortly after 1 a.m. at 653 N. Water Ave., owners Joyce and Tino Sopodacheco had gotten out of the house unscathed with their 11-year-old daughter, Chief Terry Whalen said. They were able to call 911.
The fire started when the woodburning stove in the basement caused a problem in the chimney, Whalen said. Then, the walls ignited and the flames moved into the attic in the interior walls and to the ceiling.
Smoke could be seen coming from the house in the eaves. Firefighters got the blaze under control and left the scene by 4:19 a.m.
Whalen said the fire was contained mostly to a closet and the dining room in addition to the attic.
Although the owners did not have insurance on the house, most of their personal belongings were not affected by the fire. Whalen said the rest of the heat and water damage was repairable.
The Red Cross set up temporary housing for the family, since the house was not habitable due to the heat and water damage.
The Farrell Fire Department assisted.
Fire marshal rules garage fire accidental
JACKSON CENTER – A state police fire marshal on Monday ruled a Sunday garage fire accidental.
The fire at 81 Hosack Road, Jackson Township, was caused by a spark; there was no problem with the wood burner as reported earlier, said Jackson Center fire Chief Marvin McAfoose.