The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

January 7, 2014

No one hurt in Mesabi Street arson fire


Herald staff

SHARON — The first fire of the year in Sharon was ruled arson by the state fire marshal.

Firefighters rolled onto the scene at 409 Mesabi St. around 5 a.m. Monday to see flames shooting out of a second-floor window on the east side of the house.

“It was very obvious it was incendiary,” Fire Chief Terry Whalen said. “You could smell the gasoline as soon as you walked in the house.”

A gas can was found at the scene and handed over to police who took over the investigation.

Whalen said the fire started in the southwest bedroom on the second floor and spread throughout the hallway and into the attic area.

No one was hurt in the fire, which caused heavy damage estimated at $50,000, according to Whalen.

The house is owned by Daniel Odem Sr., who has insurance. A tenant was in the process of moving out but did not have a chance to clear out personal items.

Farrell Fire Department assisted at the scene.