The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

April 14, 2014

Herald marks 150th year

Start as weekly, merger, radio station all part of paper’s history


The Herald

- — The Herald today, April 14, celebrates 150 years of serving area readers and advertisers.

R.C. and James Frey started the print edition of the Sharon Herald as a weekly newspaper on April 14, 1864, recognizing Sharon and the Shenango Valley as a location for great industrial development with potential for railroads and highways with an existing extension of the Erie Canal connecting the area with Pittsburgh.

As the Freys envisioned, the area prospered and so did the Sharon Herald. It became a daily on April 12, 1909. The Sharon Herald and the Sharon News-Telegraph (which had been the dominant newspaper in the area) merged on May 13, 1935, and continued the name of the Sharon Herald.

The News-Telegraph was an outgrowth of a merger of the Sharon Telegraph and the Farrell News in 1925. The Sharon Telegraph had begun as a daily in 1893. In 1970, recognizing the nature of its regional circulation, the newspaper dropped Sharon from its name and became The Herald, serving the entire Mercer County area.

Throughout its history, The Herald had branched into other areas. It had helped to pioneer the operation of radio station WPIC in 1938 but sold its interest in 1959. The radio station, with an FM affiliate, is the area’s dominant station today.

The Herald bought four weekly newspapers in the eastern part of Mercer County in 1965 and eventually combined them into one twice-a-week newspaper, the Allied News, based in Grove City.

A key activity in The Herald’s history merged the newspaper with Ottaway Newspapers Inc. in 1971. After 31 years as a member of Ottaway, The Herald was purchased by Alabama-based Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. on March 29, 2002.

The newspaper is published in the mornings, seven days a week, and printed by West Penn Printing in New Castle. The Herald started a Sunday newspaper in 1990 and converted from an afternoon to a morning publication in 2003. The Herald, both in print and online, covers all of Mercer County and parts of neighboring Lawrence County in Pennsylvania and Trumbull County in Ohio.