‘Nonspecific threat’ prompts evacuation
SHARON – Someone wrote a “nonspecific threat” on a restroom wall causing an evacuation at 1:20 p.m. Thursday at Sharon High School, police said.
Staff evacuated students according to district policy while police and school employees searched the building. No bomb was found, police said.
Students, who had walked to Case Avenue Elementary School, returned to the high school after about 30 minutes, police said.
Supreme Court refuses to hear couple’s appeal
MERCER COUNTY – State Supreme Court has let stand a lower court ruling that a Mercer County couple is not entitled to any more money as a result of an arbitration award stemming from an automobile crash.
The court denied a petition for appeal March 13 filed by William L. and Kathleen A. Whiting.
William Whiting was injured in the crash Oct. 28, 2004, and he and his wife filed an underinsured motorist claim against their own insurance carrier, Erie Exchange Group and Erie Insurance Exchange.
An arbitration panel on Jan. 6, 2012, awarded the Whitings damages of $70,000, but Erie sent the couple a check for $20,000, the $50,000 difference being the amount of coverage provided by the other driver’s insurance company.
The Whitings took the dispute to Mercer County Common Pleas Court on March 6, 2012, asking that Erie be ordered to pay $70,000.
Judge Robert G. Yeatts sided with Erie, saying the arbiters did not know about the $50,000 provided by the other driver’s insurance. He said the Whitings’ coverage allowed the arbiters only to determine the amount of damages, not to allocate the damages between the Whiting’s underinsured motorist coverage and any potentially available liability coverage.
The Whitings’ policy also allowed the $50,000 deduction, he said.
Lung Association offering free radon test kits
The American Lung Association offers residents free home radon test kits, while supplies last, at www.lunginfo.org/freeradonkit
Radon is a naturally occurring colorless, odorless, and tasteless, radioactive gas. It is the second-leading cause of lung cancer, after cigarette smoking. The U.S. Surgeon General and the American Lung Association recommend all homes be tested. Nearly one in 15 homes nationwide has a high level of indoor radon