Ed Luchey believes in miracles.
His son Tyler’s improving condition in the days since he was electrocuted June 29 in a construction accident reinforce that belief.
“Everything’s good. Miracles are happening every day,” the elder Luchey said.
“Prayer is good. Love, support, prayer is healing my boy,” Ed Luchey said.
Eighteen-year-old Tyler Luchey graduated June 7 from Sharpsville High School, where he was a standout athlete on the football and basketball teams.
On June 29 – a Saturday – he was working for Ed Luchey’s business, Affordable Builders, when at 4:30 p.m. he apparently hit a high tension electrical wire with a roofing tool.
He was electrocuted and the force of the shock threw him 30 feet off the roof and he was slammed into the sidewalk below.
He was burned, his neck was fractured, his ankles and heels were broken and he was burned over 40 percent of his body, according to Ed Luchey.
He’s in the burn and trauma unit of UPMC Mercy, Pittsburgh, where his father says, “He’s in the best of hands.”
He’s had several surgeries, including one on his neck and some skin grafts and “he’s doing better than great,” Ed Luchey said Tuesday from Tyler’s room.
“Awesome,” he said. “It’s amazing.”
He’s conscious and alert and has enjoyed visits from family and friends.
“He’s cracking jokes,” Ed Luchey said.
The people of Sharpsville and the rest of the Shenango Valley have supported the family, he said.
“The community pulled together. The love and support of the community is awesome,” he said. “The prayers, the thoughts, the support. Everything’s healing.”
Ed Luchey believes in miracles.
- Local News
- News briefs from April 24, 2014
Bus cameras will be listening, too
Hermitage School District is taking advantage of a recently enacted exemption to the state’s wiretap law in allowing officials to turn on the audio recording capability on school bus and vehicle video cameras.
Union, city OK 4-year contract
Hermitage’s nonuniformed employees have a new four-year contract that gives them average pay hikes of 2.5 percent a year and the opportunity to live outside the city limits, while allowing administrators more flexibility in scheduling.
2 principals to be hired
Sharpsville Area school directors needed a shove to make a decision but the board voted Tuesday to interview candidates and hire two principals for 2014-15.
Prison term upheld for sex offender
A sex offender challenging a 4- to 8-year prison sentence for a probation violation lost an appeal of that sentence.
Man, 24, must register as sex offender for life
The Ohio man who exposed himself to Sharon girls on their way to school last fall must register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life when he gets out of jail.
Man deemed predator – for now
A former Sharon man was sent to the state prison system Tuesday for corrupting the morals of a teenage girl, but the question of whether his penalties under Megan’s Law will stand could be subject to future legal proceedings.
Not even waste will be wasted
Tom Darby admits he wishes the startup of the anaerobic digestion process at the Hermitage Water Pollution Control Plant had moved along much faster.
3rd Earth Fest draws families to Penn State
Penn State Shenango’s Earth Fest has become a spring tradition for area residents.
Families poured into downtown Sharon for the campus’ third annual sustainability celebration.
Volunteers protect Shenango River
Shenango River Watchers has spent more than a decade working to clean up the Shenango and improve recreational access to its water and banks.
For many, recycling’s become way of life
When Pennsylvania mandated curbside recycling for its larger municipalities in 1998 – those with more than 5,000 people – there was grumbling about government interference in the lives of everyday people.
Many items can’t be thrown away
The computer screen in front of you isn’t likely to do you much harm, at least not until it’s tossed in a landfill where the lead-filled components start to leak and eventually find their way into your drinking water, according to Jerry Zona, director of the Lawrence-Mercer County Recycling/Solid Waste department.
While touring Germany last year, David Sykes spotted solar panels resting in a residential back yard.
Burned using Icy Hot, woman claims
A Grove City woman has sued Chattem Inc. and Rite Aid of Pennsylvania Inc., alleging she suffered a second-degree chemical burn using one of Chattem’s Icy Hot pain relief products.
“We’re No. 5’’ isn’t a sports cheer you’ll hear any time soon.
But considering the lumps the greater area has gotten over the years on economic rankings, it’s an outright victory.
- More Local News Headlines