After living out West for awhile, David Walker came home to Sharon with dreams of restoring cars in his retirement.
Among his prized possessions was a 1977 Corvette that he had been restoring for the last three years.
The ’Vette and two other cars were destroyed late Tuesday when a fire ignited in his garage at 632 S. Oakland Ave.
“I had $30,000 tied up in that garage,” said Walker. “We are devastated. We don’t know what to do next.” He has contacted his insurance agency.
Fire Chief Terry Whalen said, “The owner took great pride in his garage. It was well kept and very secure. Everything is a total loss up there.” He said the fire will most likely be ruled “accidental” but the official ruling is “undetermined,” pending further investigation.
Fire Capt. Brian Scarmack said he suspected that chemicals, paint cans, gasoline, aerosol cans or tires helped fuel the blaze.
Reports of gunshots or possible ammunition exploding in the garage forced fire trucks to park a block and a half away from the garage. Police could not confirm that there was ammunition in the garage.
“I heard a big bang like gunshots. Then sounds like someone was chipping ice,” said Zach Clark, who was inside his house a few doors down when the garage caught fire.
Firefighters, rescue workers and police arrived at about 10:40 p.m. A policeman who refused to identify himself said, “As we drove up Budd Street toward South Oakland, all we could see was a wall of fire.”
Although Tuesday’s fire is likely accidental, Whalen urged residents to continue to be vigilant and keep a watchful eye in their neighborhoods.
“People should call 911 if they see anything out of the ordinary or suspicious activity,” said Whalen. “If someone is breaking into a vacant structure, they are probably trying to steal scrap or copper wiring.
“Neighbors are sometimes the best sources. There are several people behind bars who’ve been charged with arson because of these investigations.”
The chief also encouraged residents to keep their homes safe. With the current cold snap, Whalen reminded people using space heaters to keep them 3 feet away from combustibles. He also suggested buying carbon monoxide detectors and to make sure smoke detectors are working.
- Local News
Burned using Icy Hot, woman claims
A Grove City woman has sued Chattem Inc. and Rite Aid of Pennsylvania Inc., alleging she suffered a second-degree chemical burn using one of Chattem’s Icy Hot pain relief products.
“We’re No. 5’’ isn’t a sports cheer you’ll hear any time soon.
But considering the lumps the greater area has gotten over the years on economic rankings, it’s an outright victory.
Tear it down? Fix it up?
In 2007, Richard D. Givens bought a home at 831 Knobwood Drive in Hermitage for $245,000.
Today, the city of Hermitage is seeking the demolition of the now-vacant house, arguing the damage from water infiltration makes the structure not worth saving.
- News briefs from April 19, 2014
Man admits having child porn
A Mercer man accused of soliciting and downloading photographs of nude teenage girls pleaded guilty April 8 to sexual abuse of children for possessing child pornography.
Police getting new tool to fight crime
Sharon police working at crime scenes will be putting a powerful new investigative tool to work as soon as next month.
Soap box derby finds new home
The Greater Pennsylvania Super Kids soap box derby for special-needs kids is moving to Sharpsville.
News briefs from April 18, 2014
‘Nonspecific threat’ prompts evacuation
Supreme Court refuses to hear couple’s appeal
Lung Association offering free radon test kits
Man admits to choking; rape case is dropped
A Greenville man on Thursday pleaded down a rape case to simple assault and continued to deny that he committed any sexual crimes.
Judge issues tabletop ads injunction against couple
A judge recently handed down an injunction prohibiting a Sharon man, his wife and two companies associated with the wife from working in the tabletop advertising business within 100 miles of Sharon.
Tech waste eyed for new contact
The current Hermitage solid waste contract was designed to increase recycling while reducing the amount of garbage placed at the curb, and it has lived up to its promise.
WaterFire Sharon has chosen themes for its festivals to be held on three Saturdays in downtown Sharon. “Elements” will be the theme July 19, “Origins” for Aug. 23 and “Motion” for the Sept. 27 celebration.
News briefs from April 17, 2014
Man arrested for running from accident scene
UPMC, Southwest eyeing security at hospital
Crashes cause diversion of Interstate 80 traffic
Court supports prison term in chase case
Woman gets 5-10 years in crash that killed officer
Officials pledge support to sewer project
Publicly declaring their intention to donate county land to the Upper Neshannock Watershed Authority, Commissioners Matt McConnell and John Lechner said there’s no need for Commissioner Brian Beader to worry about the loss of the sewer project at the Interstate 80/Route 19 interchange.
Neighbors tried to save victim
As flames and thick smoke poured out of a Sharon house Tuesday evening, neighbors rallied to try and save the man who lived there alone.
- More Local News Headlines
- Burned using Icy Hot, woman claims