The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

February 22, 2014

Lamps light up pygmy pair’s lair

Goats great after garage fire

By Joe Wiercinski
Herald Staff Writer

SHARON — Cassius and Clay are feeling b-a-a-a-d that their heat lamps apparently set their straw bedding afire in what might be a silly episode of “My Pet Goat.”

Their oats may have gotten toasted but the pygmy goats, everyone should be pleased to know, were not hurt in the fire at about 10:45 a.m. Friday at 206 Ormond Ave., Sharon.

No people were hurt, either.

Responding first to a 911 call, patrolman Scott Widmyer and fire Chief Terry Whalen saw smoke billowing from the rafters and heard goats bleating inside the garage at the home of Cathy Wimer.

Widmyer felt heat when he touched the garage door but he and Whalen couldn’t open the overhead door.

A ram -- if one had been available -- might have butted open the locked man door but Widmyer kicked it open instead. Smoke forced him and Whalen back. When firefighters arrived shortly after, they rescued the goats and put out the fire.

Widmyer put the goats on the back porch, blocking them in with a length of plywood until Wimer, who was at work in Brookfield, arrived a short time later.

She told Whalen the pygmy goats, about 1 year old, belong to her son, Curtis Lonsinger, and are his pets.

Wimer, who has insurance, should be able to repair the damaged garage, Whalen said.