The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

February 23, 2014

Motor blamed for house fire; owner escapes


The Herald

WEST SALEM TOWNSHIP — An early Saturday morning blaze caused by a faulty blower motor on a wood-burning stove chased a West Salem Township man from his home, firefighters said.

The two-story house at 25 Cossitt Road probably is a total loss, said Fire Chief Tom Hunt Jr.

Gerald McCann was home alone when he saw smoke and called for help, safely getting out of the house, Hunt said. The blaze, which was called in at 2:38 a.m., spread quickly, he said.

McCann is staying with relatives and did not have insurance, Hunt said.

Volunteers from Greenville, Transfer, Hempfield Township, Jamestown, Clark and Burghill-Vernon assisted.