The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

June 19, 2013

Attempted homicide withdrawn

By Joe Pinchot
Herald Staff Writer

FARRELL — A Farrell man jailed for stabbing another was released on parole Tuesday with prosecutors agreeing that his version of events was closer to the truth than the victim’s.

Arthur “Corky” Pate III, 44, of 220 Wallis Ave., pleaded guilty to a charge of simple assault, specifying that he had been involved in mutual combat with Darryl Cleveland, 46, of 1217 Negley Ave., Farrell.

Cleveland was seriously injured with two stab wounds to the chest April 11. Hospital personnel removed a piece of the knife from Pate’s chest and he spent a few days on a ventilator, Southwest Mercer County Regional police said.

Cleveland told police he got out of a car in the 800 block of Roemer Boulevard and said, “What’s up” to Pate.

Pate replied with a sarcastic remark, threatened to stab Cleveland and then made good on the threat, police said in April.

At his arraignment Pate told a district judge, “That’s false.”

Pate put his claim to a polygraph test.

“He passed the polygraph with flying colors,” said Assistant Mercer County District Attorney Miles K. Karson Jr.

Pate’s version was “consistent” with surveillance video, Karson said.

Tuesday, Karson withdrew charges of attempted homicide, aggravated assault, prohibited offensive weapon and possessing an instrument of crime as part of a plea deal.

District Judge Ronald E. Antos, Farrell, sentenced Pate to 58 days to 1 year in jail and paroled him for having already spent 58 days in jail.

Antos also fined Pate $500 and costs.

“I think I was treated fair,” Pate said.

Now, he said, he hopes police file charges against Cleveland for his role in the fight.