The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

December 9, 2013

Homeowner safe; 7 pets perish

By Melissa Klaric
Herald Staff Writer

COOLSPRING TOWNSHIP — Beverly Bentley came home from church Sunday to a hole in her roof and seven pets lost in a fire.

Bentley’s dog, two cats and bird all died in the fire. A dog and two cats Bentley was watching for relatives also perished.

When firefighters from East End Volunteer Fire Department of Mercer arrived at 88 Holmes Road in Coolspring Township, flames were pouring out of the ridge of the roof.

“It appears to have started in the kitchen near the ceiling,” said fire Chief Bill Finley Jr.. “It was accidental.”

About 10 years ago, Bentley said, there was an electrical fire at the same house.

“The one before was a lot worse,” Finley said. “The house burned down.”

Bentley said she has insurance on the modular home.

Finley contacted the American Red Cross, which plans to help Bentley with a place to stay until she receives money from her insurance company.

Finley said 15 volunteers from East End had the fire knocked out within 20 minutes.

They left at about 2:30 p.m. after airing and clearing out the home with the assistance of neighboring emergency responders.

“We really depend on our neighbors,” Finley said of departments assisting his team. “In order to have enough manpower.”

Neighboring departments called out were Springfield and Jefferson townships, Fredonia, Grove City, Stoneboro and Jackson Center.