The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

May 3, 2013

Family 'loses everything' in rental home fire


-----

FARRELL — A Washington Street family is being assisted by the American Red Cross after a Thursday morning fire burned their rented home.

Farrell Fire Chief Joe Santell said Dion Eilam, 39, was cooking and apparently fell asleep with the stove on, sparking the blaze before 6 a.m., which was ruled an accident.

Eilam, his girlfriend Tinika Carter and her daughter Brooklynn, 12, lived in the brick home at 1117 Washington St., Carter said.

The Red Cross was helping the family seek shelter, Santell said.

"My boyfriend called me up and said the house was on fire," Ms. Carter said. "The whole house was damaged. We lost everything."

She is trying to set up a bank account to receive donations from people who may be willing to help her and her family get back on their feet.