The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

December 1, 2013

Family displaced by fire


Herald staff

SHARPSVILLE — Fire gutted a home Saturday in a blaze probably caused by a smoldering cigarette, Sharpsville Fire Chief Andrew Totin said.

Jennifer Fraley, who rents the house at 26 School St., told firefighters she had emptied ash trays at about 10 a.m. before walking to a nearby store, Totin said.

She saw smoke billowing from the windows when she returned a few minutes later.

“From what she told us, and from where the fire started, it was caused by a discarded cigarette,” Totin said.

Her sons, ages 10, 12 and 16 were not at home and there were no injuries from the fire.

Fraley did not have insurance but homeowner Steve Sikora had insurance on the building, Totin said.

Fraley’s family and American Red Cross are helping her with emergency costs, Totin said.

Firefighters from Hermitage and South Pymatuning assisted Sharpsville.