The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

October 11, 2013

Ex-QB charged in another shooting

By Joe Pinchot
Herald Staff Writer

FARRELL — The former star quarterback of the Farrell High Steelers was arrested Thursday on charges that he shot a man in the arm earlier in the day.

Daniel L. Odem Jr., 21, of 1126 Washington St., Farrell – already charged in a March 30 shooting in Hermitage – was charged with aggravated assault, discharging a firearm into an occupied structure, carrying a firearm without a license and reckless endangerment.

At Odem’s arraignment, he hung his head and shook it when District Judge Ronald E. Antos, Farrell, told him bail was set at $100,000.

Odem, a 2010 Farrell High School graduate, posted $40,000 through a bondsman on June 14, the day Mercer County Common Pleas Court Judge John C. Reed reduced it from $100,000 on the Hermitage charges.

Southwest Mercer County Regional police said they were dispatched at 2:19 a.m. Thursday to a domestic call in the 900 block of Hamilton Avenue, Farrell.

Police gave this account:

While attending to that call, police heard about six “very loud gunshots.” Following the sound, police went about a block southwest to Fruit Avenue and Union Street, smelling and seeing gunsmoke on the way.

Police saw a speeding car turning north from Union to the 900 block of Fruit, and followed it as it turned onto Idaho Street and Hamilton. Police activated lights and sirens to stop the car, and it turned onto Union, where it stopped.

Two men jumped out of the car and ran, the driver dropping two objects near the car.

The men ran into Landay Apartments, and across the 800 block of Fruit, after which police lost sight of one of them. Odem was seen running to the baseball field on Wallis Avenue, where he was arrested.

Odem claimed ownership of a cell phone found underneath him, and it matched a phone cover found at the car. Odem also held onto the car keys.

Police also recovered a sweatshirt near where Odem was found. The men who ran were wearing dark-colored sweatshirts and Odem was arrested wearing a T-shirt in 41-degree weather.

Police were unaware that gunshots had hit anyone until an ambulance was called. Police are not identifying the victim, but said he was in the street when he was shot, suffered a serious gunshot wound to the right arm and was taken to a hospital.

Police recovered a .44-caliber so-called Magnum revolver, a .40-caliber semiautomatic pistol and a “Scream”-style mask from the car.

The .44 had five empty shells in it, while the .40 was fully loaded.

Police allege that Odem fired the .44, and that one of the bullets went through a window of a home in the 700 block of Union. A large amount of the victim’s blood was found in the 700 block of Union and his eyeglasses were found in the middle of the street near where Odem’s car was first seen by police.

Antos set Odem’s preliminary hearing for 9:30 a.m. Oct. 24.