The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

October 3, 2013

Police team up, search causeway

Evidence sought in open case DA won’t name

By Melissa Klaric
Herald Staff Writer

CLARK AREA — Police from several departments seen on the Route 18 causeway Wednesday evening were searching for evidence in an open case out of the district attorney’s office, Mercer County District Attorney Robert G. Kochems said.

Kochems refused to confirm or deny that the search was connected to the unsolved July 24 Frank Crash homicide, although police from Greenville-West Salem Township and Hempfield Township – both involved in the Crash investigation – were among the departments searching the roadway Wednesday.

“All I can tell you is that we got a tip from someone that we could find evidence along Route 18 where police are searching,” Kochems said.

The district attorney also would not say what evidence they expected to find.

“When they’re done searching, I probably won’t tell you then either,” Kochems told The Herald.

In addition to Greenville-West Salem and Hempfield police, several police cruisers from Pymatuning and South Pymatuning townships, Sharpsville, Hermitage, and state police lined the east berm of the Shenango River Lake causeway between 5 and 7 p.m. That area is on the border of South Pymatuning and Pymatuning townships near West Lake Road.

Several trash bags were seen being hauled away by a Hempfield police truck.

State police on the scene referred questions to Kochems.

“I’m not saying that it is one specific case,” Kochems said. “We have many open investigations in our office.”

Crash, 76, who owned a Greenville-area automotive salvage yard, was found dead in his Hempfield Township home. Authorities said he was stabbed more than 70 times with scissors or a knife and robbed of a diamond ring and cash.

Neither the murder weapon nor missing items belonging to Crash have been reported found by the authorities to date.

“Police are still conducting interviews,” Kochems said Sept. 9.

Police sent multiple blood samples and potential pieces of evidence to the Pennsylvania State Police crime lab in Erie for DNA testing, chemical analysis and fingerprints days after the murder.

Kochems said then that the evidence had been given priority testing status, which usually takes more than three months to yield results.


Herald Staff Writer Tom Davidson contributed to this story.