The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

July 11, 2014

Victim says he kept silent to seek revenge

By Joe Pinchot
Herald Staff Writer

FARRELL — Leonard Figgins wanted revenge.

That’s why he did not tell police for several months who shot him Oct. 10 in Farrell, he said.

After deciding “it was time to come clean,” Figgins told police in April that Sean J. “Rudy” Rain Jr. shot him, he testified Thursday at Rain’s preliminary hearing.

Figgins said he had not been actively looking for Rain after he was shot, although he wanted Rain dead, but they moved in the same circles. As time went on, he decided he had to protect himself “at all costs,” he said.

Figgins testified he was walking in the 700 block of Union Street, Farrell, when a car pulled up beside him. The window went down and he saw that Daniel L. Odem Jr. was driving. Odem, a close friend at the time, called him over and then Rain popped up, apparently from the passenger seat, with a long-nosed .44-caliber revolver and fired a shot that missed, Figgins said.

Figgins said he ran and heard a second shot.

“Third shot hit me and I dropped,” Figgins said, a bullet hitting him in the upper right arm.

He lay down and played dead, he said, and heard a car door. He  suspected Rain was getting out of the car, so he got up and ran. A fourth shot rang out.

Figgins ran beside a building, heard a fifth shot, and found he was cornered by a 10-foot-high fence. He said he looked back and saw Rain, 20, of 903 Spearman Ave., Farrell, with a gun he had seen Rain with before. Odem shouted, “Come on, bro,” and Rain ran back to the car, Figgins said.

Figgins acknowledged he was wearing eyeglasses that night and lost them when he was shot. Defense attorney Leo Harper questioned him about his visual acuity without his glasses, and he responded that he could see clearly from the distance Rain was after the fifth shot was fired, maybe 10 to 15 feet away.

He identified a person in the courtroom whom he said was farther away from him than Rain was when he shot him, and testified he could see that person “clear as daylight.”

Figgins testified the bullet shattered a bone in his arm and he will have surgery next week, but that he does not expect to ever have full use of it.

Southwest Mercer County Regional police Sgt. Andrew Thomas testified that police recovered two guns from the car, including a .44-caliber revolver with five spent casings and a live round in the cylinder.

The state police crime lab obtained a “probable match” to Rain’s DNA on the revolver, but wanted a sample from him for comparison, Thomas testified.

Thomas said after court that police had obtained a search warrant to take a mouth swab from Rain and he expected they would obtain that sample Thursday.

District Judge Ronald E. Antos, Farrell, held for court charges of attempted first degree murder, aggravated assault, discharging a firearm into an occupied structure – a bullet went through a home’s picture window, lodging in a copy of “The Last Supper,” police said – prohibited possession of a firearm, carrying a firearm without a license, reckless endangerment and conspiracy to commit attempted first-degree murder.

Antos also kept Rain’s bond at $250,000, instructing Harper that any bond reduction would have to come from a petition in Mercer County Common Pleas Court.

Odem, 22, of 1126 Washington St., Farrell, is awaiting resolution of charges of carrying a firearm without a license and conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and discharging a firearm into an occupied structure.