The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

Breaking News

Religion

September 20, 2013

St. Adalbert’s celebrating 100th year

FARRELL — St. Adalbert’s Church, 1035 Fruit Ave., will commemorate its 100th anniversary over two Sundays this month and in October.

At 3 p.m. Sept. 29, a concert will feature organist Tom White and area musicians. A reception will follow. The parish’s celebration will continue Oct. 13 with a 10 a.m. musical presentation by the St. Marguerite Blue Coat Band from Mahoningtown, Pa., and a prelude of Polish hymn, followed by a 10:30 a.m. Mass celebrated by Bishop Lawrence T. Persico of the Erie Diocese.

Following the ceremony, there will be a banquet at Brentford House in Hubbard at 1 p.m. The banquet will feature musical presentations by Maureen Murray-Jaklic and Logan Watson and guest speaker the Rev. Justin Pino, archivist for the diocese and pastor of St. Joseph Church in Oil City.

If interested in attending, call the parish office, 724-342-7391 by Sept. 30.

The history of St. Adalbert’s goes back to the early 1900s when a growing community of Polish immigrants in the Shenango valley conceived the idea of a Polish parish. In 1912 the people chose St. Adalbert as their patron saint and laid the cornerstone on Sept. 15, 1913. The first service was held on Christmas Day that year.

Soon after the completion of the church, the congregation added a school and convent. The school was staffed by Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth and educated a number of young people in the valley up until 1959.

In 1931 the church was rebuilt after the original building was destroyed by fire.

Today the church is being served by the Revs. Joseph Campbell, pastor, and Charles Skinner, senior associate, and welcomes people of all nationalities. Weekly Masses are at 4:30 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. Sundays.

1
Text Only
Religion
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Published Magazines