The Herald, Sharon, Pa.

Religion

June 6, 2014

Church marking 195th anniversary

CLARK — Clark Trinity United Methodist Church is celebrating its 195th anniversary Sunday, with worship at 9:30 a.m. and refreshments to follow.

Clark Trinity began in 1819 as class meetings in the home of Samuel Clark. These meetings were led by “Circuit Riders” James McMahon and Henry Knapp.

In 1826, a plank building, a meeting house, was erected on land donated by Samuel Clark. At the same time he donated land for a cemetery in which he was later buried. The bell from this building still rings in the church’s current building every Sunday.

Around 1830 the meeting house became too small, so it was torn down and a larger building was built. Again suffering from growing pains, in 1858 that building was sold and a new frame building was constructed on Line Street, where the church remained until 1965.

In the early days the Clarksville Methodist Episcopal Church was part of a Circuit Rider appointment. From 1836 to 1851 it was part of the Salem Circuit which included Bethel, Big Bend, Charleston, Five Points, Greenville, Keel Ridge (then Hickory), New Virginia, Sharon and Sharpsville. In 1852 Sharon went alone and the appointment became the Clarksville Circuit.

For many years, until 1961, Clarksville Methodist was a two point charge with Charleston Methodist.

During that time a new parsonage was built on land donated by Virgil and Mary Fleet on North Neshannock Road.

The construction of the Shenango Reservoir in 1963 meant that the church once again would have to move. Ground was broken in December 1964 at 94 Charles Street and construction began in February 1965 for the new church.

The final service at the Line Street location was on April 1 and the first service at the present location was on April 8.

The parsonage at 86 Charles Street was built in 1969.

In 1968 the Methodist Episcopal Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren Church to form the United Methodist Church. At that time the church became the Clark United Methodist Church.

In 1971, Trinity United Methodist Church of Reynolds merged with Clark United Methodist, forming Clark Trinity United Methodist Church.

Due to declining membership and poor economic conditions, Clark Trinity in July 2002 again became part of a two point charge with Charleston United Methodist Church.

The journey continues.

1
Text Only
Religion
Facebook
Twitter Updates
Follow us on twitter
Published Magazines