• Random Acts of Artists Gallery and Art Emporium will host a show of the works of eight local artists. Original paintings, drawings, prints, cards, sculpture, woodwork and jewelry are on display by Jackie Bader, Diane Beatty, Mindy Young, Ken Cole, Gil Thurman, Cliff Dawson, Jeff Vargo and Michele Kienast.
The gallery is inside Cravings Cafe, 76 Shenango Ave., Sharon.
CALLS FOR TALENT
• The Bach Society, a community choir, will begin its 2019-20 season on Sept. 9. Practices are held in the fellowship hall of Tower Presbyterian Church on Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m.
Info: Interested singers can contact the group’s Facebook page “Bach Society Community Choir” or call 724-450-0636.
• Hopewell Theatre will hold auditions for “Evita” at 6 p.m. Sept. 3 and 5 at 702 Mahoning Ave., Youngstown. “Evita” requires a large ensemble cast of singers and dancers of all ages. There are two lead female roles, one requiring an actress who can play ages 16 to 25 and one requiring an actress who can play ages 25 to 40. there are three lead male roles requiring actors who can play ages 25 to 65. Those who audition should be prepared to sing a chorus from an upbeat Broadway song (something from “Evita” is encouraged) and be dressed for stage movement. An accompanist is provided; no recorded accompaniment will be accepted.
Info: Contact the director at 330-533-8789 or Marlene.Strollo@gmail.com.
• The City of Sharon’s 2019 Brown Bag Lunch concert series concludes Wednesday with a performance by James Willaman at Columbia Park in Sharon. The concert runs from noon to 1 p.m.
Those attending can pick up a $5 brown bag lunch from Sharon Hot Dog Shop, Donna’s Diner, Niko & Lou’s Coney Island, Cravings Cafe and Creamery or Lulu Beans Cafe. In case of inclement weather, the performances will be held at Cravings Cafe and Creamery, 76 Shenango Ave., Sharon.
• The New York Tenors perform at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 at Packard Music Hall, Warren, Ohio.
Information: WarrenCivicMusic.com, 330-399-4885, or call the box office at 330-841-2931.
• Dance every Sunday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6233, Route 18, West Middlesex, with country music by John Henry and Friends. Doors open at 5 p.m. Music from 6 to 9 p.m. Coffee, water and soft drinks available.
• The Niles Friendly Squares will begin a new year of weekly square dance lessons. The introductory session will be 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 10 and will run through April 14. There is a nominal fee of $6 per lesson.
The Friendly Squares also sponsor monthly dances with alternating dances. First dance is 7:30 to 10 p.m. Sept. 14.
All lessons and monthly dances are held at the Niles (Ohio) SCOPE Center, 14 E. State St.
Info: Call Gene or Frankie Hammond (330) 506-3370.
• Polka with Peppermint from 3 to 7 p.m. Sunday at Gatherings Banquet Center, 2552 Benjamin Franklin Highway, Edinburg, located behind Town & Country Bar & Grille on Route 422. Lenny Gomulka and Chicago Push will entertain. Admission is $15 and tickets available at the door; in advance from Peppermint Records, 803 E. Indianola Ave., Youngstown, or by calling 330-783-2222.
• Oldies & Funk dance night with DJ Platter, 7 to 11 p.m. Wednesday and every Wednesday at Rolling Mills Bar & Grill, Girard. Cover is $5.
• Oldies, Country and Funk Night with DJ Platter, 7 to 10:30 p.m. Aug. 31 at Hartford Winery. No cover. Table reservations, call 330-772-8040.
• Five Deep will play dance rock at 9:30 p.m. at JW’s Other Club at Park Inn Radisson in Shenango Township
• Tuesday Night Ladies Nights are back at the Quality Inn, Hermitage. This Tuesday, DJ Carl Severino will play dance and funk, and shag and blues from the 1970s, ’80s and ’90s from 7 to 11. The bar will be open.
• Twin City Elks, 301 Staunton St., Farrell, entertainment includes: Chris Brown 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays; Jeffrey Bayman 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Saturdays, and Sundays is Jazz with Chuckie Austin from 5 to 9 p.m.
Today: Moonlight at 9:30 p.m. at the Slovenian Home, Sharon. Friday: Moonlight at 10 p.m. at The Jai Alai, Hermitage.
Friday: Nicole Matson 7 to 11 p.m. at Jamestown Fireman’s Club.
Saturday: Moonlight at 9 p.m. at The Farrell VFW.
• Steve Vuich hosts HoneyBoy’s Open Mic at 8 p.m. this evening at Vintage Estate Wine & Beer, Youngstown. At 7 p.m. Friday he plays at The Homestead at Firestone Farms, Columbiana, Ohio. At 9 a.m. Saturday her performs at the Howland Farmers Market, Howland, Ohio. At 6 p.m. Saturday he plays at St. Bart’s Picnic, Sharpsville. At 7 p.m. Tuesday he hosts HoneyBoy’s Open Mic at Quaker Steak and Lube Sharon. At 5 p.m. Wednesday he hosts Last Wednesday of The Month Open Mic at Brew32 Nova Cellars in Pulaski.
• Terry Dach plays 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Mortals Key Brewing Co., Jamestown. Jesse James Weston plays there 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. Ruby Hornsby plays there 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday, and Cooley-Strausser AD plays 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Juvenile Characteristics plays there 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Apollo Maennerchor, Sharon, presents: Jeff Welsh 7 to 9 p.m. today; Gotta Play 7 to 10 p.m. Friday; and Shultz and the I.C. 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday.
• Terry Dach plays Friday at Shades of Grey in Grove City, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at the New Wilmington Food Market with Charlie Fischer, and 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday at Nova Cellars Winery, Pulaski.
• The FX Project performs 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. Saturday at the New Manhattan, Hubbard.
• The Keg, Sharon, hosts: Candy Apple Black 7 to 10 p.m. today; FX Trio 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday; Grant Street Exit 7 to 10 p.m. Aug. 29; and Dan Smith 5 to 7 p.m. and Muddy Cadillac 8 to 11 p.m. Aug. 30.
• J. Hicks on the Square, Mercer, presents: Jazz with Dave Callaghan 7 to 10 p.m. today; The Elements 8 to 11 p.m. Friday; and On The Rocks 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday.
• Joshua Lee Nelson plays Saturday at Nick’s Inn 62, Hermitage.
• Apollo Maennerchor in Sharon will host the following performers: Jeff Welsh 7 to 9 p.m today; Gotta Play 7 to 10 p.m. Friday; and Shultz and the I.C. 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday.
• Ruby will perform live acoustic music at Mortal’s Key Brewing in New Wilmington from 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday.
• The Hopewell Theatre, Youngstown will stage “The Man with the Plastic Sandwich” at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 30, 31, and Sept. 1, 6, and 7, and at 1:30 p.m. Sept. 8.
Info: For tickets call 330-746-5455 or hopewelltheatre.org
SUBMISSIONS for Diversions are printed on a space-available basis. As such, there are no guarantees that all requests will be printed. Deadline for submissions is noon Tuesdays. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org