• Local Fredonia artist Kate Turek-Frissora had two large acrylic abstract paintings accepted at the 37th Women Artists: A Celebration Art Show at the YWCA in Youngstown, one block from Youngstown State University at 25 West Rayen Ave. Show is open to the public beginning June 29 through July 25. Hours are Wednesday through Sunday from noon to 4 p.m. and closed July 4.
• Random Acts of Artists Gallery and Art Emporium will host a show of the works of eight local artists. Original paintings, drawings, prints, cards, sculpture, woodwork and jewelry are on display. Artists include Jackie Bader, Diane Beatty, Mindy Young, Ken Cole, Gil Thurman, Cliff Dawson, Jeff Vargo and Michele Kienast.
The gallery is located inside Cravings Cafe, 76 Shenango Ave., Sharon.
• Elise McKeown Skolnick of Austintown is the featured artist at Firebean Espresso in Sharon through June. Her photography is on display and for sale. Skolnick’s work has been accepted in national and local shows, including the Butler Museum of Art’s Annual Area Artists Juried Show, the Hoyt Center for the Art’s Regional Juried Show, and the YWCA’s Annual Women’s Artists: A Celebration! Juried Show. She has earned several awards for her photography.
• Random Acts of Artists presents the opening of the “Real or Imagined” juried art exhibition at the SOAP Gallery, 117 S. Champion St., Youngstown. The show will run from Friday through June 28.
Opening reception is scheduled for 6 to 9 p.m. Friday.
• The Maynards play 7 to 9 p.m. June 14 at Cana’s Corner, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Sharon.
• The City of Sharon’s 2019 Brown Bag Lunch concert series is every Wednesday through Aug. 28 at Columbia Park in Sharon. Concerts run from noon to 1 p.m. This year’s dates and performances:
« Wednesday: County Mayo
« June 19: Candy Apple Black
« June 26: Carolyn Longo
« July 3: Maureen Murray
« July 10: Rock Jazz Trio
« July 17: Max Schang
« July 24: The Youngstown Fine Arts Brass
« July 31: Trontel Jake Review
« Aug. 7: Kristy Blue and the Midnights
« Aug. 14: Damian Knapp
« Aug. 21: Terry Dach
« Aug. 28: James Willaman.
Pick up a $5 brown bag lunch before the concert from Sharon Hot Dog Show, Donna’s Diner, Niko & Lou’s Coney Island, Cravings Cafe & Creamery or Lulu Beans Cafe. In case of inclement weather, the performances will be held at Cravings Cafe and Creamery, 76 Shenango Ave., Sharon.
• Sharpsville Historical Society will sponsor a bus trip to see Diana Ross in concert at the Chautauqua Institution on July 5. Cost is $125 and includes transportation and admission to the concert. The bus departs Sharpsville Plaza at 4 p.m.
• Mercer Courthouse Sumer Concert Series runs from June 21 to Aug. 9 with warmup music and ice cream social at 6 p.m. and concert at 7:30 p.m. The rain location is Mercer High School auditorium.
Performing June 21 is Pan Tropix and Mercer Community Band.
Info: Contact 724-699-9124.
• Funk, Oldies and Jitterbug Dance night with DJ Platter, 7 to 11 p.m. June 12 and 26 at Rolling Mills Bar and Grille, Girard, Ohio. Cover is $5.
• Oldies Funk and Country Night with DJ Platter, June 29 at Hartford Hill Winery. No cover.
Info: Reserve table by calling 330-772-8040.
• Dance every Sunday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6233, Route 18, West Middlesex, with John Henry and Friends. Doors open at 5 p.m. Music from 6 to 9 p.m. Coffee, water and soft drinks available.
• Friendly Squares will host their monthly square dance from 7:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday at the Niles (Ohio) SCOPE Center, 14 E. State St. Rex Parker will be the caller and Frankie Hammond will be cuing line dances. Fathers’ Day will be the theme. This will be a plus dance. Dress is casual and light refreshments will be served. There is a $6 donation per person at the door.
Info: Call Gene Hammond at 330-506-3370.
• Jazz from 3 to 7 p.m. the second and fourth Sunday of each month at Twin City Elks, 301 Staunton St., Farrell.
• Whispering Oaks, 260 S. Buhl Farm Drive, Hermitage, offers these events: Joe Collinici, 2 p.m. Saturday; Gene Testa, 2 p.m. June 15; Violinist “Ruby”, 6:45 p.m. June 18; Dave & Jim Holbert, 2 p.m. June 19; Gary and Donna Zock, 6:45 p.m. June 25; Jim Hutchison, 2 p.m. June 26; Whispering Oaks Choir, 2 p.m. June 29 and Tammie O’Marrie at 3 p.m. June 29. Info: 724-347-3050.
• Greenville Symphony Orchestra hosts a Speakeasy event from 7 to 10 p.m. June 29 at Gallery Grille in Greenville. This is a fundraiser for the symphony, which just celebrated its 90th concert season.
Info: Tickets should be reserved in advance by calling 724-456-1661.
• DJ Platter plays all your favorites from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. June 22 at the Whispering Oaks Street Fair. There will be food, face painting for kids, food vendors, games and more.
Today – Moonlight at 9:30 p.m. at the Slovenian Home, Sharon.
Friday – Moonlight at 10 p.m. at The Jai Alai, Hermitage.
Saturday – Moonlight at 10 p.m. at Georgia’s City Light, Hermitage.
• The Keg, Sharon, will host Common Ground from 7 to 10 p.m. today; Pan Tropix 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday and Reissue 7 to 10 p.m. June 13.
• Soundbite plays from 7 to 10 p.m. Friday at the Apollo Maennerchor Club, Sharon; 8:30 to 11 p.m. June 22 at Vacationland, Sandy Lake; and 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. June 29 at Clark House, Clark.
• Steve Vuich hosts HoneyBoy’s Acoustic Open Mic at 8 p.m. today at Vintage Estate Wine and Beer, Youngstown. At 6 p.m. Friday he plays at The Peter Allen Inn in Kinsman. From noon to 4 p.m. Sunday he and The River Saints perform at The Red, White, Jazz & Blues Fest at The Peter Allen Inn in Kinsman. He hosts HoneyBoy’s Open Mic at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Quaker Steak and Lube, Sharon, and at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Brew32 / Nova Cellars, Pulaski.
• J. Hicks on the Square, Mercer, hosts: Jazz with Dave Callaghan Band 7 to 10 p.m. today; Pendleton and Scott 8 to 11 p.m. Friday; and Muddy Cadillac 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday.
• Jim Scott plays 6 to 9 p.m. Thursday at Mortals Key Brewing Co., Jamestown. Jay Bird & Haley Bee will play there 6 to 9 p.m. Friday. Max Schang’s Trio of Blues plays there 2 to 5 p.m. Saturday, and Terry Dach and Garrett Fry play there 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Mike and Lauren play there 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• Terry Dach plays 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday at Hartford Hill Winery and 5 to 8 p.m. June 13 at the Sugar Shack.
• The FX Project will perform at the “Second Saturday Night Live” music series 8:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday at the Mill Run parking lot, 958 Market St., Meadville.
• Tyler Jenkins plays 6 to 10 p.m. Monday at North Country Brewery, Slippery Rock.
• Just the Two of Us performs 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday at the Donut Daze Festival at Fresh Marketplace, New Wilmington.
• Five Deep plays at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Clark House, Clark.
• The Hopewell Theatre, Youngstown, presents “On Golden Pond” Friday and Saturday and June 14 and 15 at 7:30pm and June 16 at 2 p.m. at 702 Mahoning Ave.
Info: For reservations, please visit hopewelltheatre.org or call 330-746-5455.
SUBMISSIONS for Diversions are printed on a space-available basis. As such, there are no guarantees that all requests will be printed. Deadline for submissions is noon Tuesdays. Email: email@example.com