• Random Acts of Artists Gallery and Art Emporium hosts a show of the works of eight local artists. Original paintings, drawings, prints, cards, sculpture, woodwork and jewelry are on display by Jackie Bader, Diane Beatty, Mindy Young, Ken Cole, Gil Thurman, Cliff Dawson, Jeff Vargo and Michele Kienast.
The gallery is inside Cravings Cafe, 76 Shenango Ave., Sharon.
• Humble Ministries performs 7 to 9 p.m. Sept. 13 at Cana’s Corner, St. John’s Episcopal Church, Sharon
CALLS FOR TALENT
• The Bach Society, a community choir, will begin its 2019-20 season on Monday. Practices are held in the fellowship hall of Tower Presbyterian Church, Grove City, on Mondays from 7 to 9 p.m.
Info: Interested singers can contact the group’s Facebook page “Bach Society Community Choir” or call 724-450-0636.
• Hopewell Theatre will hold auditions for “Evita” at 6 p.m. today at 702 Mahoning Ave., Youngstown. “Evita” requires a large ensemble cast of singers and dancers of all ages. There are two lead female roles, one requiring an actress who can play ages 16 to 25 and one requiring an actress who can play ages 25 to 40.
There are three lead male roles requiring actors who can play ages 25 to 65. Those who audition should be prepared to sing a chorus from an upbeat Broadway song (something from “Evita” is encouraged) and be dressed for stage movement. An accompanist is provided; no recorded accompaniment will be accepted.
Info: Contact the director at 330-533-8789 or Marlene.Strollo@gmail.com.
• Auditions will be held for the upcoming Good Humor Radio Hour, produced by Youngstown State University’s Department of Communication.
Auditions will be at 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday in Bliss Hall, Room 2258.
The Good Humor Radio Hour is a radio style live audio drama, the fourth installment in the series, which will be staged Oct. 29 and 30 at Butler North, adjacent to the Butler Institute of American Art.
Voice actors, musicians, audio technicians and sound effects (Foley) artists are needed to perform special scripts for a live audience.
Sides (or script pieces) and more information are available by going to Facebook and searching Good Humor Radio Hour or by contacting Dr. Fred Owens at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Senior Singers of the Hermitage Senior Center will begin rehearsals for the fall at 11 a.m. Monday in the center’s activity room. All who enjoy singing are invited, and there are no auditions. The chorus practices each week, and about every six weeks presents a themed program prior to lunch being served at the center.
• The New York Tenors perform at 7 p.m. Sept. 12 at Packard Music Hall, Warren, Ohio.
Info: WarrenCivicMusic.com, 330-399-4885, or call the box office at 330-841-2931.
• Rend Collective will perform at 7 p.m. Sept. 13 at Grove City College. The Northern Irish folk-rock worship band and missional collective will bring its unique sound to the college’s arena.
Tickets are available online at: premiereproductions.com
• Dance every Sunday at the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6233, Route 18, West Middlesex, with country music by John Henry and Friends. Doors open at 5 p.m. Music from 6 to 9 p.m. Coffee, water and soft drinks available.
• The Niles Friendly Squares will begin a new year of weekly square dance lessons.
The introductory session will be 7 to 9 p.m. Tuesday and will run through April 14. There is a nominal fee of $6 per lesson.
The Friendly Squares also sponsor monthly dances with alternating dances. First dance is 7:30 to 10 p.m. Saturday.
All lessons and monthly dances are held at the Niles (Ohio) SCOPE Center, 14 E. State St.
Info: Call Gene or Frankie Hammond (330) 506-3370.
• A Hee-Haw Barn Dance will be held 6 to 9 p.m. Sept. 22 at the West Middlesex VFW. Admission $5. Bring a dish to share.
• Twin City Elks, 301 Staunton St., Farrell, entertainment includes: DJ Richard Hughes 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. Fridays and Saturdays; and Sundays is Jazz with Chuckie Austin from 5 to 9 p.m. Twin City Elks is closed all Mondays.
• Penn State Shenango begins its 2019-2020 Lecture Series with a presentation by Dr. Kathy Shaffer, assistant teaching professor, chemistry, at 5:30 p.m. today, in Lecture Hall 223. Shaffer will discuss 2019 as being the “International Year of the Periodic Table” and what it means to us and to science.
• The 29th Annual Lawrence County Polish Day will be Sept. 22 at Cascade Park Pavilion, 1928 E. Washington Street New Castle.
Entertainment will be provided by John Gora and Gorale (Canada) and Polish New Castle Radio. Doors and kitchen open at noon. Polish food prepared by Krakus Deli of Boardman, Ohio, with wine tasting by Novosel Wineries.
Admissions is $13 and children 16 and under are free.
This event is sponsored by the Polish Americans of Lawrence County. Proceeds benefit the PALC Scholarship fund and other organization activities.
Info: Jean Calvert (724) 654-6337 or Gary Fray (724) 752-9988
Saturday: Moonlight at 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at Farrell Veterans of Foreign Wars.
• The Farrell Croatian Home, 412 Staunton St., Farrell, presents Muddy Cadillac from 8 to 11 p.m. Saturday.
• Apollo Maennerchor, Sharon, hosts: Mike Handerhan 7 to 9 p.m. today; Double Shot 7 to 9 p.m. Friday; and Damian Knapp 7 to 10 p.m. Saturday.
• Steve Vuich hosts HoneyBoy’s Open Mic at 8 p.m. today at Vintage Estate Wine and Beer, Youngstown. From 5 to 8 p.m. Friday Darwin’s BullBird and Harp Blues Band play at Fractured Grape Winery / Hop Asylum for Blues, Brews, BBQ, New Wilmington. From 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday he performs at Whitehouse Fruit Farm, Canfield. At 6 p.m. Saturday he plays at the Vineyards at Pine Lakes in Columbiana, Ohio. From 2 to 7 p.m. Sunday the Peter Allen Inn Pavilion in Kinsman hosts The Autumn Afternoon Americana Blues Fest featuring “Sonny Needs Money” and “The Mighty Mighty River Saints.” At 7 p.m. Tuesday he hosts HoneyBoy’s Open Mic at Quaker Steak and Lube Sharon.
• Go For Broke Acoustic plays 6 to 9 p.m. Friday at Mortals Key Brewing Co., Jamestown. Major Morgan plays there 6 to 9 p.m. Saturday. Bourbon and Lace plays there 3 to 6 p.m. Sunday.
• The Tommy Chris Band plays Saturday at Nick’s Inn 62, Hermitage.
• The Keg, Sharon, presents: Double Shot 7 to 10 p.m. today; Root Theory 7 to 10 p.m. Sunday; FX Trio 7 to 10 p.m. Sept. 12; and Grant Street Exit 7 to 10 p.m. Sept. 15.
• The FX Project performs 9 p.m to 1 a.m. Saturday at the Clark House, Clark.
• J. Hicks on the Square, Mercer, hosts: Jazz Thursday; Bourbon and Lace Friday; and Whiskey Sunday Saturday.
• Grant Street Exit plays at at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday at Bible Park.
• Dresden Drive plays dance rock at 9 p.m. Saturday at the Revolver Lounge and Tapas, inside the Quality Inn, Hermitage. Damian Knapp plays there 9 to 11 p.m. Wednesday.
• The Hopewell Theatre, Youngstown will stage “The Man with the Plastic Sandwich” at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday and at 1:30 p.m. Sunday
Info: For tickets call 330-746-5455 or hopewelltheatre.org
SUBMISSIONS for Diversions are printed on a space-available basis. As such, there are no guarantees that all requests will be printed. Deadline for submissions is noon Tuesdays. Email: email@example.com