MERCER COUNTY – The Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV will offer Adult Basic Education and GED preparation courses next year. Locations across the Mercer County Area are:
• Sharon Middle/High School, 1129 E. State St., Sharon, from 5 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
• Laurel Technical Institute, 829 S. Dock St., Sharon, 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• Mercer Area High School, 545 W. Butler St., Mercer, 5 to 8 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays.
• Greenville Area School District, 71 Columbia Ave., Greenville, 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays.
• PA CareerLink Mercer County, 217 W. State St., Sharon, 9 a.m. to noon and 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays.
Classes are being offered through May 29. Pre-registration is not required. Walk-in students are welcome. The state Department of Education requires that each student participates in a brief orientation and accesses a case manager for support. Classes and materials are free.
The courses focus on GED preparation, pre-employment testing, and basic skills that increase employability. Teachers are state-certified and the curriculum is targeted to teach skills that adults need to be successful in the workforce.
Midwestern Intermediate Unit IV is an educational service agency that provides and services to 27 school districts in Butler, Lawrence, and Mercer Counties. As one of 29 Intermediate Units in Pennsylvania, they implement projects administered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, the State Board of Education, the General Assembly, and the United States Department of Education.
Interested adult learners may call Georgiana Luce, program coordinator, at 724-458-6700 ext. 1212.