THINGS TO DO
• Due to inclement weather conditions, Shenango Valley Masonic Lodge 810 will not be having its spaghetti take-out this Saturday.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center, Slippery Rock, is offering the following programs for the public:
1. A Virtual Exploration of Making Real Maple Syrup, 10 a.m., Feb. 16.
Participating in this virtual program is free, but registration is required to receive a link for the program, which can be viewed in a browser with no special downloads or log in required. To register, call 724-794-6011. A link to view the event after it is presented will also be available on request to those who cannot attend during the scheduled time. No registration is required for this non-live option, but contact Jennings at 724-794-6011 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive this link following the scheduled program time.
2. Family Science Outside: Maple Sugaring, Feb. 23-25, 28, many time slots available.
Families/cooperative groups/“pods” can register for their own time slot on one of the available dates. Time slots are available for one group at a time (max 12 people/group) at 9, 10, 11 a.m., and 1 p.m. on Feb. 23-25 and every half hour from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Feb. 28. Registration is required by visiting events.dcnr.pa.gov or by calling 724-794-6011.
3. Step into Snowshoes, entire month of February, when conditions are suitable.
Snowshoes are available to borrow and use within the park on a first-come, first-served basis, and for free. One person in the party must be at least 18 years old and possess a valid Driver’s License. Snowshoes are available between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. (returned by 3 p.m.) when the Center is open, which is typically Monday through Friday and on snowy Saturdays. Please call 724-794-6011 to check snow depth and trail conditions.
• Jennings Environmental Education Center is also offering the following programs for scouts:
1. Scouts Special: A Virtual Exploration of Making Real Maple Syrup, 10 a.m. or 1 p.m., Feb. 20.
Registration in the virtual program is free, but to receive the special patch, there is a $2 fee per scout. Patches can be picked up at Jennings by families or leaders following the program from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, or from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 27 and 28. To register, call 724-794-6011 or register at events.dcnr.pa.gov.
2. Scouts Special: Science Outside: Maple Sugaring, Feb. 27, offered every half hour 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Scouts completing the experience will receive a special patch for their participation. The fee is $2 per scout (no charge for adults or siblings). Individual families or scout groups of up to 12 scouts can register for their own time slot (groups of larger than 12 scouts should register for additional time slots). Available time slots are for every half hour, 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. The experience is designed to last approximately 1.5 hours. Registration is required at events.dcrn.pa.gov or by calling 724-794-6011.