THINGS TO DO
• The Mercer Area Library’s annual Used Book Sale will be Oct. 15, 16 and 17. Choose from over 10,000 books, audio books, DVDs and more.
New this year, the sale will be at Brandy Springs Park at the Community Center, at 54 McMillan Road, Mercer. Hours are 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Oct. 15 and 16, and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Oct. 17.
Proceeds will be used for library projects.
• Presbyterian Women of Unity Presbyterian Church is having a huge indoor yard sale from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Friday, and beginning at 9 a.m. on Saturday, at 1857 Mercer-West Middlesex Road (Route 318), Mercer.
Most items don’t have price tags; give a donation that your heart dictates. There will be lots of books and craft items. Masks and social distancing is required.
• Twin City Elks is having a fish and chicken dinner from noon until sold out on Friday.
• Gentle Shepherd Church of the Nazarene is holding a free community spaghetti dinner from 5 to 7 p.m. on Oct. 30 at the church, 3480 Shenango Valley Freeway (enter on Sunset Boulevard between J.D. Byrider and Dunkin’ Donuts). The event is drive-through only and limited to one dinner per person in each vehicle.
Moraine and McConnells Mill State Park will be holding these community programs:
• Muddy Creek Oil Field Living History Exhibit, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at 195 Park Road, Moraine State Park.
The Muddy Creek Oil Well is an award-winning restoration site of an antique oil will. The Bessemer Gas Engine and Marshall-Barr No. 19 oil well equipment is restored and open (free admission) for visitors to hear and see the industry that powered this region. Volunteers will be there to operate the engine and answer your questions.
Bring a mask or face covering as COVID-19 guidelines and social distancing will be followed.
• Fall Foliage Kayak Float, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 10. Attendees will meet at McDanel’s Launch (North Shore), Moraine State Park.
Join the park naturalist for an interpretive kayak paddle for a look into the color of fall.
This program is for ages 12 and up, under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Kayak and gear provided, or bring your own. Life jackets required. Pre-registration required. Social distancing guidelines will be followed; bring a face mask.
To register, call the park office at 724-368-8811.
• Owl Prowl, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m., Oct. 10. Attendees will meet at Kildoo Pavilion, McConnells Mill State Park.
Join the Park Naturalist to learn about the wonderful owls that prowl the night woods in Pennsylvania.
Bring a flashlight if you have one and dress for the weather. Pre-registration required. Social distancing guidelines will be followed; bring a face mask.
To register, call the park office 724-368-8811.
• Gentle Shepherd Church of the Nazarene is holding a Trunk or Treat from 4 to 6 p.m. on Oct. 24 at the church, 3480 Shenango Valley Freeway.
Wear your costume and stop by all of the decorated vehicles for lots of treats for kids. All are welcome.