Part of South Mercer Street in Greenville was closed after a water line break Friday night. A few inches of water rose to the surface on South Mercer between Main and Clinton streets.

A water line broke in downtown Greenville Friday night, affecting several businesses and closing part of South Mercer Street.

A few inches of water was bubbling up from South Mercer between Main and Clinton streets, Greenville firefighter Brian Albaugh said around 9 p.m., shortly after he got word of the break.

That part of Mercer Street is closed while Greenville Water Authority crews try to fix the break, Albaugh said, adding it’s not as bad as the break on Jan. 24 on Main Street that flooded the basements of several businesses.

Richard H. Miller, Greenville’s mayor and chairman of the water board, said he wasn’t notified of the break by authority crews, which means it’s not serious.

It’s hard to determine exactly which businesses will be affected, but it’s helpful that some downtown places are closed over the weekend when crews need to work, he said.

The break is near the Greenville Dinor, 7 S. Mercer St., and authority crews notified the restaurant around 9 p.m. that the water would be shut off soon while the water line is repaired, said waitress Autumn McLaughlin.

The Dinor closes at midnight and its bar, the Alley Cat Lounge, closes at 2:30 a.m., so the staff was filling as many containers as they could with water to prepare for the shut-off, she said.

Ms. McLaughlin said authority crews weren’t sure how long the water would be turned off or what caused the break.

Just down the road at Compadres Mexican Restaurant, 14 S. Mercer St., manager Jerry Navorro said they were already preparing to close at 10 p.m. and didn’t need more water.

If the water isn’t turned back on by the time they open at 11 a.m. Saturday, they’ll have to make do and buy water from the store, he said.

The restaurant opened Jan. 20 and the situation is unfortunate but they’ll just try to deal with it as best as they can, Navorro said.

Greenville’s water line break two weeks ago was a fire suppression line and it was repaired within a day. Firefighters had to pump several feet of water from a few downtown businesses.

Recommended for you