MERCER — A Sharon man accused of stabbing a Farrell woman will return to court for his preliminary hearing later this summer.

Sabre Ryhem Chambers, 27, of Sharon, had been scheduled for a preliminary hearing Monday morning, but District Judge Mary A. Odem ordered the session contiued when Chambers turned up without legal representation.

Chambers is charged with criminal homicide, assault, aggravated assault, endangering the welfare of children, possession of an instrument of crime, possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment.

The charges stem from the May 28 death of Natasha Talley, 41, of 110 Wallis Ave., in her home. Farrell police were called to Talley’s home, where she was found unresponsive with multiple stab wounds to the torso. Police also found two children under the age of 3 in the apartment.

Police said Chambers confessed to the stabbing when he was taken into custody.

However, when he appeared Monday for his preliminary hearing, Chambers said he had no attorney. When Odem asked why, Chambers said he assumed attorney Stanley Booker would represent him in the homicide case.

Booker is representing Chambers in another case, although Chambers admitted that he had not spoken with Booker since the preliminary arraignment May 30 on the homicide charges.

Odem told Chambers that she instructed him at the arraignment to contact the Mercer County Public Defender’s office, unless he planned on having a private attorney represent him. Odem also referenced previous criminal charges on Chambers’ criminal record and said he should have been familiar enough with the process to secure an attorney.

“This preliminary hearing is a waste of everyone’s time,” Odem said.

Odem presented Chambers with the choice of either waiving the his right to a preliminary hearing, which would send the charges Mercer County Court of Common Pleas, or requesting a continuance and rescheduling the preliminary hearing.

Due to the charges’ severity, Odem recommended that Chambers obtain legal counsel.

Ultimately Chambers opted to request a continuance and have the preliminary hearing rescheduled.

Odem granted the request and modified Chambers’ bond to require him to have an attorney present for his preliminary hearing. She ordered him to an attorney or the public defender’s office as soon as he returned to jail Monday.

“I’m going to issue you a continuance once, because I don’t want to play games. I gave you all this information at the arraignment,” Odem said.

Chambers is scheduled to reappear for his next preliminary hearing before Odem at 2:30 p.m. July 10. He has been in Mercer County Jail since May 30 on a $1 million bond.

Like David L. Dye on Facebook or email him at