Lawrence M. Owens had little — if any — community support during a preliminary hearing Friday before District Judge Ronald E. Antos.

The people who watched in the Farrell courtroom made one thing clear: They weren’t there for the man people in Farrell know as “Crusty.”

More than a dozen people attended the hearing, where prosecutors detailed their case against Owens, 48, of 903 Emerson Ave., and Anthony Victor Gregory, 44, of 937 Hamilton Ave., both Farrell. The men are accused of beating John Jackson with a hammer and golf club on March 9 at 616 Fruit Ave. over a missing bag of marijuana.

Those who came to the hearing said they attended to support Gregory and Jackson.

Before the hearing started, Mercer County Assistant District Attorney William Moder added charges of burglary, criminal conspiracy to commit burglary and possessing instruments of crime against the pair, who already face charges of aggravated and simple assault, criminal trespassing, criminal conspiracy and making terroristic threats.

Handcuffed and in leg shackles, Owens grunted and limped his way into the courtroom. His attorney, Robert J. Murdoch of Pittsburgh, explained that Owens fell and was hurt Thursday in Mercer County Common Pleas Court Judge John C. Reed’s courtroom during an extradition hearing on unrelated charges.

Murdoch asked Antos to continue the hearing until “Owens is physically able to prepare for this hearing.”

Antos denied the request saying the hearing had already been delayed once.

Owens then waived the charges to common pleas court. Antos sent Owens to the hospital for treatment, then to Mercer County Jail, where he is being held on $250,000 bond.

When Owens left, the hearing against Gregory proceeded.

Jackson testified he was watching TV at about 10 a.m. March 9 in his living room when there was a knock at the front door.

He said Owens and Gregory, whom he has known for 30 years, “came in and Mr. Owens grabbed me and threw me against the bannister. He asked Mr. Gregory to grab me. He said it in a violent type of way.”

“Owens said he wanted his black bag,” Jackson said. “I said I don’t know nothing about the black bag. He said ‘You do and you have it.’ ”

Owens then pulled out a small claw hammer and “starting swinging it at head level,” Jackson said.

He said he was hit a couple times on the left side and top of his head by Owens as Gregory held him around the waist.

Then Owens started punching.

Owens said he had enough, went outside and returned with what Jackson said he thought was a gun in his back pocket.

“I thought he was going to shoot me.”

When the phone rang, Owens knocked down a door and pulled the phone cord from the wall, Jackson said.

“While he was gone, Gregory said, John, I like you, I don’t want to do this,” Jackson said.

When Owens returned he threw Jackson on the couch and “out of somewhere, he came out with a golf club,” Jackson said, adding Owens started swinging it.

Jackson said he was hit across the neck and shoulders with the club.

“I want my bag. I want my stuff,” Jackson said Owens told him. “At that time, I didn’t know what he was talking about.”

Owens pulled out a wad of cash and “pulled off 15 or 20 $20 bills” putting them in Jackson’s shirt pocket, he said.

“I said ‘I don’t know about your stuff,’ ” Jackson said.

Gregory took the cash back as his sister, Belinda, came into the house. Jackson called her his “female friend.”

“Everything just stopped and Mr. Gregory and Owens were leaving,” Jackson said. “Tony said, ‘Belinda, I love you.’ ”

“I seriously thought he was going to kill me. I didn’t think it was over until it was over,” Jackson said.

During cross-examination, Mercer County public defender Ray Bogaty asked Jackson if he was treated for his injuries.

“I didn’t think it was necessary,” Jackson said, but he went to the hospital the Sunday after the fight and was given pain medication.

Jackson said the fight lasted about 15 minutes. “When you feel you’re about to be killed or what not, you’re not watching the clock,” Jackson said.

He said he didn’t know anything about the black bag Owens wanted until police told him.

“I found out later what may have been in the black bag: marijuana,” Jackson said.

After the hourlong hearing, Antos held the charges against Gregory to common pleas court. Gregory was returned to Mercer County Jail where he is being held on $250,000 bail.

Owens is set to be sentenced in Ohio on unrelated drug charges, which is why he appeared before Reed on Wednesday.

Reed ruled that the Pennsylvania charges against Owens must be resolved before he is shipped to Ohio, Murdoch said.

Last April, Owens fled a traffic stop in Youngstown and police found a duffel bag stuffed with 20 pounds of marijuana in the trunk of the car he was driving.

Owens pleaded guilty in January to one charge of racketeering — a third-degree felony — and the drug charges were dropped. The charge carries a penalty of 2 to 10 years in jail.

The assault charges shouldn’t affect the plea deal because the alleged crime happened after the agreement was reached, Owens’ attorneys have said. He is being represented in Ohio by Mark Hanni and Donald Hanni Sr. of Youngstown.