When Larry J. Larson was found at about 9 p.m. Oct. 22, 2004, some 6 hours after an explosion ripped through his 94 Filer Road, Findley Township, mobile home, he was unconscious, severely burned, in a large pool of blood, and his intestines had fallen onto the floor, said his attorney Robert E. Sanders.

Larson, who survived, was temporarily blinded and deafened from the blast, which blew holes 10 feet wide on each side of the trailer and one in the roof, and blasted debris 70 feet away, said Sanders, of Winston-Salem, N.C.

Officials claimed that, shortly after finding Larson, they got his consent to search the mobile home, Sanders said.

“The physical, mental and emotional condition of the Defendant at that time were such that he was incapable of giving a free and voluntary consent,” Sanders argues in a motion to suppress evidence the U.S. Attorney’s Office, Pittsburgh, plans to use against Larson.

Larson, 56, of 3273 Cardinal Drive, South Pymatuning Township, was indicted on a charge of possessing a gun while addicted to several drugs. He has pleaded not guilty.

Prosecutors have until May 12 to respond to the motion.

Police said Larson detonated a small explosive device in the mobile home after fighting with his personal caregiver.

Larson “suffered a horrendous and almost fatal accident when an explosion occurred within the small trailer,” Sanders said. “The Government’s initial response was equally horrendous.”

Sanders is challenging the validity of warrant and consent searches that led to items being taken from Larson’s South Pymatuning home on Oct. 28, 2004, including firearms, firearms parts, ammunition, prescription drugs, boxes of papers and records.

Items found during the disputed consent search on Oct. 22 were cited in an affidavit for the warrant search six days later.

Larson, the former owner of Elite Firearms, Hermitage, has been in the firearms business for more than 20 years and has five U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives licenses to make, import and sell firearms and make armor piercing ammunition, Sanders said.

He also owns a medical supply business licensed by U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration.

Sanders claims Larson has had no compliance problems with any of his licenses.

Sanders’ motion said the affidavit for the Cardinal Drive warrant did not establish a link between the site and evidence of crime, and failed to mention that that address is listed on one of his federal firearms dealer licenses.

The affidavit also referred to an irrelevant 2001 traffic accident and an interview with Larson’s former doctor, who also was a former employee “prejudiced against” Larson, Sanders said. The doctor said he “suspected” Larson was abusing prescription drugs.

The affidavit mentioned an interview with a local policeman who searched the house five days before the explosion at a previous fire call. The cop saw bottles of drugs such as lidocaine and Valium, and concluded Larson was illegally taking drugs, but did not check to see if he had prescriptions for them, Sanders said.

Larson is charged with being addicted to morphine, methadone, codeine, Vicodin, Dialudid and Valium.

“The affiant crafted the affidavit to portray the Defendant in the worst possible light,” Sanders said of the ATF agent who obtained the federal search warrant.

Sanders also said the warrant did not specify what items to seize, and the ATF agent who obtained it was not present during the search.

“The officers executing the warrant could not possibly know what to search for and what to seize,” Sanders said.

Sanders also claims the search “implicated” the Fourth Amendment — which outlaws unreasonable searches and seizures — and violated ATF and Department of Justice policy by allegedly allowing Herald reporters and photographers onto the Cardinal Drive property while the search was under way.

Recommended for you