SOUTH PYMATUNING TOWNSHIP – Two men are heroes in South Pymatuning after rescuing a resident from a house fire Sunday night.

South Pymatuning Township police Officer Tim Covert and firefighter Lt. Gerald Hinkle entered the burning house and were able to rescue the homeowner, William Rombolt, who suffered from smoke inhalation, Police Chief Paul Ferm said.

A fire that began shortly before 10 p.m. Sunday at a South Pymatuning Township home resulted in the homeowner being taken to a hospital as a precaution, said Andrew Bush, fire chief for South Pymatuning Township Volunteer Fire Department.

Rumbolt, owner of the home at 4004 Wynwood Drive, was taken to Sharon Regional Health System and treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire began in back of the house and spread. The blaze was quickly extinguished by firefighters. The home suffered extensive fire and water damage, Bush said.

Bush believes the fire was accidental, caused by a faulty outside light, but he is waiting on the state police fire marshal to confirm that opinion.

Rombolt had a couple dogs, the police chief said, who were secured outside and are being taken care of now.

In addition to South Pymatuning, fire departments from seven other area fire departments responded to the call: Sharon, Hermitage, Mercer East End Volunteer Fire Department, Clark Volunteer Fire Department, Jefferson Township Volunteer Fire Department, Sharpsville Volunteer Fire Department, and Transfer Volunteer Fire Department.

Herald Staff Writer Melissa Klaric contributed to this story.

Story updated at 12:32 p.m. 5-18-20