south myers fire.jpeg

MELISSA KLARIC | Herald

A fire Friday evening at 139 S. Myers Ave. in Sharon is believed to have started in the kitchen.

SHARON – Several fire departments responded to a blaze Friday evening on South Myers Avenue.

All four tenants made it out of the rental house safely as flames poured out of the kitchen.

Sharon fire Chief Bob Fiscus said the department received a call at 6:31 p.m. for the fire at 139 South Myers.

"They arrived on scene and they went to rapid fire attack," Fiscus said. "The fire was out in about 10 minutes."

Fiscus did not say the fire was accidental, but that the blaze originated on a kitchen stove, based on the occupants' account.

One of the tenants, O.C. Burkes, said he went to the store and and saw flames at the house when he returned. The fire kept him from getting back into the house.

"I could see the other side of the house through the window," Burkes said as he watched fire fighters attending to the house. "It's just bad timing, for everyone."

Burkes said the family had a pet turtle and he does not know if it survived.

Fiscus said Mike Chuba, owner of the rental house, has insurance but the Burkes family does not have renter's insurance.

The chief said the family will not be able to return to the home, which sustained heavy smoke and water damage. Fiscus had contacted the American Red Cross to assist the residents.

Patagonia, Hermitage, Farrell and Brookfield firefighters and McGonigle Ambulance responded to the emergency.

Follow Melissa Klaric on Twitter and Facebook @HeraldKlaric, email: mklaric@sharonherald.com

Trending Video