HERMITAGE — A Sharon man is out on bond after allegedly attacking his girlfriend and killing her cat Thursday.

Charles D. Chisholm, 67, of Sharon, is due to appear in court for his preliminary hearing at 10:30 a.m. July 24 before Magisterial District Judge Mary Ann Odem on charges of simple assault and aggravated cruelty to animals, according to court documents.

The charges stem from an incident earlier this month when police were dispatched to a domestic dispute at around 10:25 a.m. July 11 in a house in the 2200 block of Paul Street, according to the criminal complaint.

When police arrived at the scene, police met with the victim who had several knots on her head, scrapes on her face and told police she had jaw and neck pain. She had a cane because she is legally blind.

The victim told police she allegedly had an argument with Chisholm over a water basin related to her home's central air system that needs to be dumped out regularly. As the couple argued, Chisholm allegedly poured the water on the victim and began pushing and grabbing her, when she hit Chisholm and knocked his glasses off in an attempt to get away, according to the complaint.

Chisholm then allegedly knocked the victim to the floor and began hitting her head off the floor until she ran from the home. The victim then went to her neighbors' house knocking on doors and asking for help before she called 911 from a cell phone. She told police she was so scared that she forgot she was carrying the phone.

The victim was taken to UPMC Horizon in Farrell for evaluation.

Police then spoke with Chisholm, who was inside the home washing his hands. Chisholm allegedly told police he didn't remember what the argument was about but that the victim did hit him, causing him to push her and knocking her to the floor, according to the criminal complaint.

While interviewing Chisholm, a police officer noticed a recently deceased black cat behind the bushes in front of the home. A neighbor said they allegedly saw Chisholm stepped outside the house with the cat in a white towel. The cat was dumped behind the bushes and Chisholm went back inside.

When asked by police about the dead cat, Chisholm allegedly responded, "What cat." When police described the body, Chisholm said the cat was in the bathroom and he tried to move it, causing the cat to bite him. He then allegedly hit the cat, which killed it, although he later told police he hit the cat with a mop.

Chisholm had fresh cuts and puncture marks on his right hand and a broken fingernail which he told police was from the cat biting him.

The victim told police the cat's name was "Wayne" and that the cat was afraid of Chisholm. The Humane Society of Mercer County was called to take the cat to Greenville Vet Clinic for a necropsy, although an initial examination showed apparent slash marks across the cat's chest, the complaint states.

Chisholm was then placed under arrest. He allegedly told police later that he didn't want to fight with the victim but that he lost his temper.

Chisholm's preliminary arraignment was held on July 11. He was released on $15,000 unsecured bond.

Like David L. Dye on Facebook or email him at ddye@sharonherald.com.

This story has been updated to clarify that the suspect lives in Sharon.